Fabulous Florida!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Fort Myers
December 28th 2013
Published: December 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I am reminded why we don't generally travel during the holidays like we did on Christmas Eve. We work up at 4:45 am to over 20 people waiting for a shuttle to Spokane airport that holds only six, luckily a taxi got us to there on time. In spite of experiencing the busiest airports I have ever seen, our flights were on time, our luggage was there, our car rental worked perfect, what more could we ask for? I forgot our GPS at home so we winged it and got lost trying to find our hotel but eventually we figured it out with some help from Miranda who called my cell looking for us. The first two rooms they tried to put us in - the room keys didn't work, then the TV remote didn't work, we couldn't figure out the ice maker, the shower curtain was about to fall off but after those minor hickups we settled in nicely at the Candlewood Inn. The layout of our room in this extended stay hotel with a small kitchen is really smart, maybe something to add to the design of our future home in Christina Lake.

Ben & Mir put on an exceptional seafood Christmas Eve bbq serving seafood kabobs, clams, lobster tails, rice, beans. We were super tired from a long day of travel but it was a very wonderful evening with their family and friends. Our grandsons are so cute, we were thrilled to see them.

Santa came big time! I mean BIG TIME! There was a truck load of gifts for the kids. Super fun watching the little ones opening their presents. We then went to Ben's Mom & Stepdad's home for an amazing Christmas lunch with all their family, 40 or so people, appetizers, turkey, prime rib, steaks, prawns, salads, potatoes and the most spectacular dessert table we had ever seen. They gave us the most incredible box of Norman Love chocolates, they are no less than actual artwork and taste as good as they look! We are very fortunate to be so welcomed by this close and loving family, reminds me of Ian's family except twice the size.

Weather has been warm and mostly cloudy, very pleasant. Fort Myers is a lovely area, very clean, things are spread out which we like as the roads are great, big with lots of lanes and it's easy to get around. We've been spending quite a bit of time checking out the great shopping. Yesterday we drove to Sanibel which is an Island about 45 minutes away with some gorgeous beaches, it was super busy because of the holidays. Fishing is very popular past-time. Florida you are fabulous, people are so friendly, we are glad to be here and not back home in the cold!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb