Here we go again...round four!


Advertisement
Published: April 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Kids' PassportsKids' PassportsKids' Passports

These were a battle and a half! Getting a 1.5 year old to pose for a passport picture - ugh!
When we came home from our third and “final” round the world trip in 2009, we never thought we’d do it again until retirement. That trip was kind of our last taste of freedom, our last hurrah, before settling down to the real world of kids and a mortgage. So, here we are, seven years later with two beautiful kids ages 2 and 4, a mortgage, decent cars, and even some quality furniture in our bedroom in place of the cardboard boxes that we had used as nightstands for as long as I can remember. Yep, we really are living the American dream in our picturesque California coastal town. The problem is, when you have traveled like we have, completely free of ties and worries, seeing the world with nothing to your name but the contents of your backpack, it is very hard to shake the travel bug.

For those of you that know us well, it probably won’t come as much of a surprise when I announce that the travel bug has bitten us again. Yep, we are going to travel again but this time with little kids! Scott just handed his notice in at work yesterday (Wednesday, April 13th) and we spent the beginning of the week booking accommodation in Kruger National Park in South Africa, our first destination in September and October. We are hoping to book our outbound flights tonight once the kids are asleep. Of course, Kyla is still lying in bed with eyes wide open, which is why I’m taking the opportunity to write this. I keep glancing at the video monitor, willing her to fall asleep!

We have so much to do between now and September to get ready for this trip. Oh, how times have changed. Instead of handing in notice on our apartment, we now have to get our house ready to be rented out (which we have no clue how to do by the way!), sell our cars, pack up or give away all of the kids’ toys without traumatizing them (I’ll let you know how that one goes!) and then figure out how to fit everything four people will need for a year or more into two large backpacks. It’s all a little overwhelming!

And then there’s the technology piece. On my first trip, I had absolutely nothing that needed plugging in. My camera had batteries and (wait for it) film, and I didn’t even have any music (which would have been a battery-run Walkman anyway.) As time has gone on, I’ve switched over to a digital camera, and I have started taking along an iPod and speaker. That’s two things that needed plugging in – still manageable. For this trip, we are looking at whether to bring along an iPad or a small laptop too. Part of me hates the idea. The whole point of extended travel is to remove yourself from the humdrum at home and fully immerse yourself in the experience, just checking in from time to time at an internet café to ensure that World War III hasn’t broken out while you lazed away the days in a hammock on a remote island. From what I’ve been told, though, it’s almost essential to have your own computer nowadays as accommodation is booked in advance online and the number of internet cafes has seriously dwindled. I’m very nostalgic for the days when your strategy for getting a good room was to get the first ferry or bus into a place and then be prepared for some hard work, trekking up and down and checking out several guesthouses until you found one with the right price as well as the right vibe for you. I kind of feel like it takes all the spontaneity out of travel. Maybe that’s a blessing in disguise, however. I don’t envision Kyla and Jakey trekking up and down looking for accommodation in the heat. That sounds like the perfect storm for a toddler tantrum!

We are looking forward to this trip with a mix of excitement and fear. On the one hand, we feel like we will be living true to ourselves, and it will be a great chance to be together as a family for lots of “quality time” before Kyla starts the daily grind of school, tying us down for all eternity. On the other hand, though, we feel a little out of our depth. We have traveled so much in the past, but never with two children for this length of time. We are trying to keep our expectations realistic. We know we won’t be moving on every few days as we have done in the past. The plan is to find a place we like and stay there for a couple of months so that we really have a base. The problem is finding the right places! I guess we will be just winging it as we go. Watch this space!...

Advertisement



18th April 2016

Good luck!
We have met many parents travelling with young children on this trip. One family had 5 children!! Hope all goes well for you and you fulfill your dreams!
18th April 2016

I found you just in time!
I'm so glad I found your blog just as you are starting to plan this awesome trip with your kids! I love reading about traveling families... show the world it can be done! I look forward to read everything about your trip, good luck!! :)

Tot: 0.488s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 84; dbt: 0.2916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb