DAY 21 SHETLAND


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 5th 2023
Published: June 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post


A cuppa at Brae had benefits we would not have seen ... shields from the numerous parishes from the late '80's to the current day.
We have been blessed with the weather. It began overcast with intermittent showers, however by mid-morning the sun was our friend for the rest of the day.

We headed to the north of Lerwick and were rewarded with stunning scenery which is not unusual for this part of the world. Esha Ness is home to Shetland’s volcano. Layer upon layer of volcanic ash and lava flows are exposed in the steep, rugged cliffs. The area is wild and beautiful. The stormy clouds over the sea added to the wildness. We walked the length and more of the ‘canyon’ taking particular care not to slip to the boulder and sea floor 70m below.

Wherever we went in this Northmavine area we were constantly in sight of some marvel … sheep, black or white, with lambs grazing in fields and on the edge of the single lane road, oblivious to any passer-by, eroded rock off-shore formed into arches or attractive sculptures, lush fields with tracks both animal and human, stone farmhouses seemingly alone, atop a hillside daring the wilds of nature to bring its worst, and beaches with fist size rocks smoothed and rounded by the never ending pounding of the
North Atlantic Ocean. Even though the sun was shining the air was fresh. We walked numerous kilometres over fields and along cliffs to reach and see all that nature had to offer.

Small hamlets dotted the hillsides. We wondered, ‘why do people live where they live’ and this is not only related to the alone houses we saw in Shetland but to the world. It is enough to say that for this day we enjoyed so much and saw so much that many of the moments will remain with us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement




An employee showing Jane the best places to visit and how to get there.




Esha Ness cliffs.




Yes, they are truly magnificent.



Farm scene. There are 23x more sheep than people on Shetland.



Stenness beach.


Seen better days ... Stenness.


Jane enjoying Stenness Beach, the ruin farmhouse and the environment.


Stone cross erected in 1927 to mark the spot where supplies for the Eshaness Lighthouse were landed.


Natural arch ... the Dor Holm ... big enough for a boat to pass through.





Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb