DAY 20 SHETLAND


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 4th 2023
Published: June 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Thank you.
Due to the efficient disembarking, we were on the road heading for the 100m high cliffs of Sumburgh Head 45kms from Lerwick, the southernmost section of mainland Shetland, on which stands the lighthouse and the famous breeding cliffs for puffins and numerous other birds. Jane was as ‘happy-as-Larry’ upon seeing the puffins. She spent ages photographing them. The scenery here and around every corner that we have travelled so far is sensational and ranks amongst the best I have seen on my travels.

As we worked our way along both coastlines (they are not far apart) back towards Lerwick we began to feel pretty ‘bombed out’. Even though the ferry was soundless and the journey smooth, trying to sleep in a pod does take some getting used to. We found our accommodation at about 2pm, slept for an hour and then hit the road by walking into central Lerwick to explore and enjoy as well as find a place to eat. Being a Sunday virtually everything was closed. After eating we continued our walk and found “Jimmy Perez’s place”. We were stoked as it is the Shetland television series that motivated us to travel here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Background is away from Sumburgh Head. AB is happy as.


JB in similar mood.


View of Lerwick, past and present, from the observation deck of the ferry as we approach our berth.


Also coming in is a Norwegian cruise ship.




View shows mainland Shetland separated from Bressay Island.


On our way to Sumburgh Head.



A side of the Head.


Sumburgh Head.


Puffin ... there were hundreds!




The lighthouse with fog horn built right on the outer edge of the Head. Robert Stevenson, the grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson, was the lighthouse keeper her for close on 5 decades.


Jane just could not stop clicking ... puffins!



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb