DAY 22 SHETLAND


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 6th 2023
Published: June 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post


We ended our stay in Shetland with good laughs with a few passersby, whilst enjoying an ice-cream and a hot chocolate.
Shetland is ideal for anyone wanting remote. At a steady pace we went remote again today. Photographing, walking, conversing with locals, oowwwing and aahhing at scenery and the cute lambs were common occurrences throughout the day culminating with a seafood lunch with the trimmings at Dan Haaf in Scalloway. Scalloway was also the scene for meeting the crew of a mussel boat as we watched it dock, fully laden with 28 tonnes of mussels. Shetland produces over 75% of the UK’s mussel production.

The Shetland visit wouldn’t be complete without Jane purchasing puffin memorabilia. She did. I settled for an ice-cream. For three whole days our visit on Shetland has been a thoroughly enjoyable, fun-filled learning experience.

We’ve upgraded to a cabin with ensuite so should sleep overnight on the 12 hour ferry journey to Aberdeen ready to tackle the next section of our trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



We began the final day having the best scrambled eggs on toast sitting beside this mural.


It is.


Scord of Weisdale area. Hill of Hellister is the background, loch of Hellister between the hill and Kalliness with the foreground greenery called Sound where the foundations of Aamos Kirk are found, a pre-reformation chapel.






Small lifeboat at Aith.


Seen better days. Aith.


Aith RNLI station (Royal National Lifeboat Institution). RNLI is over 180 years old. It now has more than 400 fast, modern craft operating from over 230 stations, 24hr/365days a year, rescuiing more than 7000 people from as far out as 160kms.


Peat. Cut out from the ground and set out to dry for fuel during the winter months ... or whenever.


Sandness.


Jane speaking to an artist who had settled in for the day.


On the point at Sandness.


Cemetery ... all are well cared for ... wandering them and reading the headstones takes you 'way back' ... young deaths ... pioneers ...



Scalloway street.


Fishing boat heading for harbour in Scalloway.


... followed by a smaller boat heading to the same destination.


Scalloway Castle under repair.


Large vessel loaded with 28 tonnes of mussels ready to be secured by one of the deckhands.


Another of the deckhands. We spent a good time speaking with the Skipper and crew ... informative and humorous.


Part of Shetland Maritime Museum in Lerwick.


Shetland Maritime Museum.


Reflective selfie.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb