DAYS 23 ABERDEEN-ST ANDREWS


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
June 7th 2023
Published: June 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Sitting by the fairway, under our respective country's flag, at the famous St Andrews golf course, scene of many British Opens.
A quick exit of Aberdeen and it was onto St Andrews.

We parked between the wide, open, sandy beach, the beach on which the race scene of Chariots of Fire was filmed, and the famous St Andrews golf course. Within minutes our pre-arranged meeting with Anne, and her dog, eventuated. We made for the beach and headed in the direction of the famous clubhouse. Alongside the fairway of the 1st hole a photo was taken of us with the British and Australian flags above us. It just happened that they were flying beside each other.

We walked, watched players who had paid 500BP for the ‘excitement’ of teeing-off and playing 18 holes at St Andrews. 500BP for a round was beyond our budget. We settled for wandering the streets, constantly chatting with Anne, and heading to the university taking in its grandeur. Our accommodation was in the student quarters of the university, a few streets from the main courtyard.

In the evening, (8pm the sun is still high) we headed to the golfers’ den, the Dunvegan pub, to grab a bite to eat and soak in the atmosphere. Before bedding down at 12, it was a couple of

The Tay Bridge (2250m long) over the Firth of Tay. (Firth = narrow arm of the sea)
hours or so of exploring St Andrews. Oh, how we wished that we had allotted more time to this place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



A small section of the fantastic Balgove Deli where we had our breakfast.


Walking along St Andrews Beach looking towards the Golf Clubhouse and first tee.


Anne arrives with her dog definitely showing who is in-charge.


The dog is enjoying himself whilst high powered nattering is going on.


"Well, it's like this," says Anne.


Heading up towards the clubhouse.


Jane beside the first fairway.


Looking down the first fairway from in front of the clubhouse.


Looking up towards the clubhouse standing in the middle of the first fairway ... play stopped while I took my photo!


A section of the Honour board featuring, L-R, Jack Nicklaus (USA), Lee Trevino (Mexico) and Seve Ballesteros (Spain)


Australia's, Peter Thompson ... 5 time British Open Champion.


Australia's, Karrie Webb, 3 times British Open Champion.


St Andrews street scene ... its one street up from the first fairway.


Courtyard of St Andrews University. 10 000 students are enrolled.


Courtyard view of St Andrews University.


The rapidly deteriorating original St Andrews Cathedral ... under restoration assessment ... closed to all and sundry.


At its height of fame, it was massive. If restoration assessment is positive it will be restored to its former glory. The cost will be massive!


Jane standing under the arch entrance to the original St Andrews 'powers'.


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb