From Glasgow to Gotham City to Kingussie


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
January 16th 2022
Published: January 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Having been allowed a lie-in until what holiday-Claire calls almost lunchtime……7:30am…..we headed into town. Glasgow was very quiet and yes I know it’s Sunday but, for such a populous city, the streets were mainly devoid of what you may know as people. Great stuff.



We had a few hours until we were due to checkout so plenty of time to walk to the cathedral and necropolis. There are plenty of old buildings in Glasgow to photograph, plenty of decay and dereliction too as well as litter bins almost as tall as Claire! What a city!



Somehow she didn’t fall in any and didn’t accidentally fall into the cat cafe we passed either…..thank goodness we only had limited time!!



Despite the walking last night and lots more today we still never found what could be described as a city centre. You know the place, where all the chainstores hang out so it looks like every other British city, apart from Stoke where they have mostly closed down. So yeah, it’s nice to avoid all those ovepriced clothes shops!



So, on the way, I saw a poster that looked a bit old-fashioned with a shop selling Xmas trees…..in January….. We went closer and saw lots of fake snow and figured this must have something to do with some movie trucks we’d seen a couple of streets back.



Claire doesn’t mind speaking to people and accosted a security guard who told her that the movie was called Cherry Hill and that it contains some world-famous stars. We were also allowed to wander through and take photos….what a day!



Now, Mr Security Guard……I’m sure that’s what you’re told to say but we’re on to you matey! After speaking to some locals and seeing Gotham signs we realised we were actually in Gotham City!! This was the set of Batgirl which features Michael Keaton, JK Simmons, Brendan Fraser etc. 'Holy cow' Claire I exclaimed before donning a cape and throwing a batarang at a passing tourist 'I'm home!' To be fair to Claire she just shrugged and took a picture of some fake snow. At least some things don't change.



We didn’t see any of the Hollywood heroes (not you Brendan of course) as there was lots of set-dressing going on, which is fascinating in itself. The amount of work that goes into making every shop ‘Gothamy’ is crazy but we will certainly be looking out for this set in the movie….unless they cut it of course…. Well, who knew that Gotham City was actually in Scotland!?!?



We eventually made it to the cathedral and started in the adjacent necropolis. First job, find the grave of the guy who wrote Wee Willie Winkie. Job done. You can’t come to Glasgow and not see that now can you?



The necropolis is fascinating as the range, and height, of memorials, is mind-boggling. I know the Egyptians had their pyramids but they were for pharaohs. These monuments are mainly for normal people trying to outdo each other. The higher up the hill you are here, the richer you were, and the more elaborate the memorial you had/have. One even had a bandstand on it…..well that’s what it looked like.



The cathedral was visible from up there too and looked good in the sunlight. Yep, we’re in Scotland in January and the sun is shining! Too many of the locals figure this is hot weather and were wearing shorts….they’re made of sterner stuff up here! I guess they get used to the cold but we never get used to the rain in Stoke-it's not like we get impervious to it and become aquatic.....yet......



Next stop the botanical gardens and some free parking (if you can find a spot) as it's Sunday; or in Scottish, Sundee. The park is pleasant enough but was quite busy so I guess that musings earlier as to why the city centre was so quiet. The tropical greenhouses had some interesting flora from around the world and are definitely worth the entrance fee. It's free. We had a quick wander round until Claire finally found a squirrel and then we were allowed to leave.



We headed up the A9, through rolling hills and with snow-capped mountains in the distance (real snow that is) until we reached Kingussie where we are to be based for two nights. Claire was driving and accidentally turned into the wrong turning. Before exiting she took out her anger on a large white stone and then had to get out of the car to put it back in place. This may not be exactly how it happened but it's good enough for me.



Our accommodation was two houses away and, as we are the only guests, we've been upgraded! We have a lovely room with a king-sized bed with a private bathroom and Claire is happy because there are two cats here, although she has only seen one so far. No doubt the other one will be hunted down and stroked to within an inch of its life.....



There isn't much choice of food on a Sunday night but the chippy was open and had seats inside so we ate there before calling in the Co-op for some supplies. It hasn't been a bad day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb