Camino de Santiago de Compostela - Pamplona, St. Jean Pied de Port, San Sebastian, Pamplona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Pamplona
August 24th 2015
Published: September 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Navarre Regional Government Office BuildingNavarre Regional Government Office BuildingNavarre Regional Government Office Building

Just 150 meters from the apartment of Inigo y Ines
24 August 2015, Monday Tasks to do in and from Pamplona

We mention to Inigo that the bag has arrived as we confirm with a call to the ever so reliable Christina. Inigo says he will come by at 4 pm and we will drive to St. Jean to get the bag. He is at work.

We are on our own today. The first order of business is to find a repair shop to get the upper part of Harlan's backpack straps re-sewed since one has almost come loose completely and the other has started. The first shop recommended by Inés say, " solamente zapatos" (shoes only), but gives us detailed directions to another. We leave the backpack about 0930 ( nothing opens in Spain before 0900 and it closes at 1200 until 1630. We had found a great place for breakfast recommended by Inés that has a Paleo vegetarian menu so we are fortified for the adventure of getting the bag repaired.

The line is long into the shop so it must be good. The man tells me he will finish by 1800 tonite. No receipt, he will remember me, just leave the bag, so I do.
Statue of Sancho FuerteStatue of Sancho FuerteStatue of Sancho Fuerte

He united all the area of Navarre under his rule
After leaving the shop to get clothes for Karen, seems she is tired of washing and wearing the same underclothes for the last 6 days, I recall that we will not be in town tonight at 1800 so return to tell the man, "mañana in la mañana." "Ok," he replies.

Karen finds the Spanish version of Victoria's Secret and, low and behold, they have quick dry undies and she is set. We are betting it is Harlan's bag as the baggage claim matches the tag on the bag. It will be wonderful to have Harlan have his boots. The biggest loss if my bag is not found are the gifts for Ines and Inigo and other family members

We now pick up things from the pharmacy and have time to see the outside of the cathedral, the old city walls and go out the walls to the French gate into the city. We grab something to eat and go back to await Inigo's return from work.

Inez has been grocery shopping and has many bags. She stocks the kitchen, Inigo showers and Harlan and I do what we do best--relax.

Now it is off to France
Floral display San SebastianFloral display San SebastianFloral display San Sebastian

Inigo in his bird shirt y Ines
to pick up Harlan's bag. St. Jean is really hopping and we hop out of the car and run into the hotel to claim the bag----alas it is my bag! Harlan still does not have his boots! Christine is as gracious as ever and wants us to come inside for a drink with our friends. However, we sense that Inigo is on a mission to show us San Sebastián so we regretfully decline the offer. She refuses our propina and finally says she will distribute it among her staff.

It is a beautiful ride to the sea and the city is quite lovely. Inez explains that cities in the area do have their personalities and San Sebastián is noted for being more genteel and the ambiance is very gracious. The beach is exquisite and a walk borders the sea a great distance-separating the walk from the beach is an elaborate white cast iron railing; it is the pride of the city. I sent a picture to a friend and said, "Where are we?" and she instantly knew because of the railing. Inigo has wanted to arrive to take pictures along 'the walk' as the sun sets. Mission accomplished!

There are huge banners hanging from buildings proclaiming the city, and one in Poland, are going to be the European Capitals of Culture in 2016.

The city is famous for its culinary achievements and it is the second city with the most Michelin stars per capita in the world. But we are here to sample the famous pintxos (Pronounced pinch chose). They are like a glorified tapa and are quite elaborate. We squeeze ourselves into a 'pintxos place' and order a plate of various delights. We accompany the delicacies with glasses of local cider. Inigo says I would not make a good pintxos eater as after eating you are supposed to throw the little paper it was in under the counter. I keep looking for the waste basket container!

We walk a little around the old town and sample some more pintxos. Then we have the drive home through the mountains and dip down into Pamplona for a good night's sleep--well, until the Argentinian music begins again 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Sunset across the Harbor in San SebastianSunset across the Harbor in San Sebastian
Sunset across the Harbor in San Sebastian

Inigo (he loves birds), Karen and Ines
The beach in San SebastianThe beach in San Sebastian
The beach in San Sebastian

Long, beautifully curved beach
Assorted PintxosAssorted Pintxos
Assorted Pintxos

San Sebastian's famous food


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb