Camino Day 25: Vigo de Sarria to Portomarin:


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Sarria
June 2nd 2022
Published: June 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

By 6:30am we were out the door. First we had to cross into Sarria proper, over the bridge. We wound our way through the streets, past a couple of churches and some ruins of a castle. We were up above Sarria with a nice view, so we took a photo, and continued on down the trial. We passed through Barbadelo and 7:30 then Rente about 8:30, then found a nice cafe around 9:30 called Mercado de Serra, so we stopped for coffee. There were very few signs at the beginning of towns, so I probably missed and will miss mentioning some. At about 11:00 we passed through Morgade and entered Ferreiros shortly thereafter. This is where the famous "100 kilometers" until Santiago marker is. Around 11:30 we passed through Rozas, and found a very nice donativo. Here I couldn't help myself but to take an assortment of goodies. I gave the nice man a 5 Euro note. Just after noon, we entered Mercadoiro and found the Albergue Mercadoiro and its bar/cafe. Manoli was hungry since she didn't take anything at the donativo, so we stopped for her breakfast. She had been hoping to find pulpo (octopus) because Galicia was famous for it, and sure enough they had it. She wolfed it down while I had a coffee with milk.

In the next town, Moutras, we spotted a house/store/cafe with an unusual decoration on the upper window... a witch! Oh well, the store had some cool handmade stuff. Just before 1pm we spotted Portomarin, and soon after came to a fork in the Camino. We looked the sign, and noticed they caution pilgrims about one route with very steep downs. We assumed because the warning was on the right hand side, the shorter one, that the left was the best and safest. Wrong! It was fine until we got close to Portomarin, then it was the downhill from hell, steep and with lots of small steps and treacherous footing. Oh well, live and learn.

We finally reached the bottom and the bridge into Portomarin. We spotted the lucky pilgrims that had taken the safer and shorter route coming to the bridge from the other side. We crossed the bridge, climbed the annoying 50 or 60 steps up to town, and soon spotted our albergue, Casona de Ponte. They had nice clean rooms and a bar/cafe we could use for ourselves. While Manoli rested, I went out to browse for a place to get dinner. I spotted a number of places on the main street, further uphill as is everything in this town, and a couple of supermarkets.

I went back to the room to rest a little, then Manoi and I went back up to check things out. We checked out the cool church, then went to a supermarket for dinner. We picked up a few things and returned to the room.

Tomorrow we head to Palas de Rei.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th June 2022

This is great advice! Very honest and practical.I really enjoyed this post.Nice post!! these tips may help Great post, My favorite work advice. Thanks so much for a detailed post! It is very helpful for. Your post is helpful to avoid the mistakes. Thank you.
5th June 2022

Saying hello
Been following your trek, enjoying your photos. By now you must be getting close. How much further?
5th June 2022

Tomorrow
Tomorrow we reach Santiago de Compostela. Been very enjoyable. We are going to Finesterre and then to Salamanca before visiting my wife's family in Chipiona. Glad you enjoy my posts.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb