Day 36 Madrid


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
May 23rd 2018
Published: May 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

With Jane still far from the top of her game, virtually without voice, we practiced the underground, timing our way to where we will have to catch our train to San Sebastion early tomorrow morning. Easily done, so no panic situation tomorrow.

With the underground not proving a problem, under Jane’s direction we headed to Banco de Espana even swapping lines along the way. Making our way slowly along the Alcala we took in the Fuente de la Cibeles and Palacio de Comunicaciones until we reached Puerta de Alcala, observing the police efficiently directing the heavy but constantly moving traffic. We entered Parque Del Retiro along Avenida de Mejico which guided us straight to the lake and Monumento a Alfonso XII. Here the small dinghys were out in force with pairs or more endeavouring to manoeuver their craft with rowing oars around the lake under the critical eyes of multiple nationalities. The park, a small part I had explored yesterday, is enormous, so making our way along the various paths we came across Palacio Velazquez and Palacio de Cristal, both marvellous architectural buildings. The highlight was still to come, La Rosaleda (The Rose Garden), designed by Cecilio Rodriguez, featuring roses from around the world. We love gardens.

It was now over 5 hours since we had left our hotel, and with Jane still soldiering on, we exited the park not far from our hotel, stopped for lunch before heading in, resting up and to see what tonight has in store. Could just be ‘resting up’. I’m in favour of that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement













Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb