Day 37 Madrid to San Sebastian


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
May 24th 2018
Published: May 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Departure mode without speaking. Vast majority of preparation had been done the evening before. Each of us knew what to do. Loaded up, walked to Atocha Renfe underground and 25 minutes later we were at Chamartin and in no time comfortably in our spacious seats waiting for the train to depart. No stress. We drifted in and out of ‘doziness’ even though we had had very little sleep during the night. The countryside consisted of rolling, undulating hills with farmland plus wide flood plains and narrow steep valleys with the customary village clinging to the sides, interspersed with the occasional large town. Numerous tunnels were passed through ranging from a few seconds to 8 minutes.

We were very pleased to reach San Sebastian and on stepping only a few metres from the station we were greeted by the clean Urumea river and the smell of the sea. The town is set on hills and peaks and a very narrow coastal plain. All act as a backdrop to the beaches. San Sebastian is a Basque town and has its own language and customs.

We taxied (now a habit) to our accommodation at the Avenida Hotel. Again, a magnificent choice. A magnificent view from our spacious and extremely clean room. The big downside to all of this is that Jane is still pretty ill and has enquired about an English language speaking doctor. We darkened the room, Jane had honey and hot water and tucked herself into bed while I disappeared in clothes I would not have worn if Jane was up to walking around.

I headed down Paseo de Igeldo (up goes to Mt Igeldo) to La Concha Bay, not wanting to do too much as I’d rather be sharing the sights and experiences with Jane. I walked along the path bordering Ondarreta Beach heading to my left towards El Peine del Viento sculpture (Wind Comb) but continually looking out over the bay at Santa Klara Island and Mt Urgull situated on the jutting headland that makes up the La Concha Bay. On my return I passed the busy Royal Tennis Club and then took to the sand and walked along the water’s edge for the entire length of Ondarreta Beach taking in all of the “sights”. I add that we are so spoilt in WA and Perth metro area as it is so easy to take our beautiful beaches for granted. Don’t! It was then back up the hill to our hotel to check on Jane.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement












Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb