Mallorca - sailing trip

Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Majorca » Palma
July 21st 2016
Published: August 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

I arrived at Mallorca very late Wednesday night, my flight with Ryanair was delayed one hour but also only cost me 50 euros, so it was quite OK. After waiting in the airport the flight only took around 50 mins, I slept all the way. I arrived in the airport after the busses had stopped going, I was going to the port right next to the airport and decided for a taxi, the port is called Can Pastilla - at night it was a 15 euro taxi trip, cheaper in day time.

There I met my father and his travel buddy Claus, him and his wife both retired and sold the house and are currently travelling around on their boat in Spain. We went on their little rubber boat (they did not want to pay the fee of over 100 euro per night to stay in the port so they where anchored by the coast) - and we arrived by the big boat in full darkness, the coast and lights from the city were super beautiful. I said hi to my mom and Chui and jumped in the water with my father and Claus straight away. As it was late we went to bed after talking a bit.

The next day we went for a quick morning swim followed by breakfast and then we sailed a bit, we started without too much wind and had to use the engine some of the way. We made our first stop at Playa de Santa Ponca - small little spot where we could also stay by anchor. Here we jumped in the water and I was feeding some fish but ended up having a big tuna coming straight to my face to say hello so I got scared and hurried back up. After lunch me and my father went for a little test dive, last time I went I had problems with my ears, but this time nothing so I finally had some more time on the bottom! Not much to see but nice to know that I can now pursue the dream of getting the certificate!

Later in the afternoon and evening that all flow together here, we took the rubber boat to the city to do some food shopping. They were super nice and let me do all my vegan food and they would just have a bit extra on the side if they felt like it - they even bought me tofu and beans on the first day! We got a Spanish sim card for Claus and Chui so they can chat away with the grand children in France and Denmark. Then late dinner before bed time.

Next day we could finally do some real sailing, of course after the obligatory morning swim. We wanted to go further than we could, the conditions got a bit too wild and we had to go find a port a bit before planned, since the boat was rolling a bit - we went in by Puerto de Andratx, here it was mostly paid spots, but we anchored a bit outside so we could go into the city to shop. We had lunch and got supplies before heading back. Then we wanted to go around the corner to Cala d'Egos, a small hidden beach between the rocks, on the way there we attempted to wake board with Claus' kitesurf board behind the sailboat, but I failed miserably. He managed to stand for some minutes but it was really hard because of the lack of speed. By the little Cala we jumped in the water again, the water was so clear and blue here and the beach and rocks are so pretty. We made dinner on board again before bed time.

Next day was my last day on board - after our morning swim and breakfast we went sailing towards Soller but soon had to give up and go by engine again, the wind was against us most of the time, it would probably be better to go the other way around the island. On the way we got some very big waves and found a small rubber boat that had fallen of a sail ship. We took it with us and handed it in to the officials when we arrived at Soller. Here we swam a bit more and went for a walk in the city where my parents had been over 30 years ago with no annoying children with them. There are some old wooden trains driving around and it is a very cute little city.

After walking around the city with my parents we returned to the boat and I had my first real shower since I knew I would have to face the real life again soon ;-) we all had a drink in the city before walking to the bus. I then got on the last bus to Palma de Mallorca at 19, I did not have to be in the airport until 5 in the morning, but luckily my childhood friend had just moved their for an internship, so we spent all evening together having dinner and catching up on everything that had happened since we were young. I stayed a few hours at her place before going to the airport very very early.

Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.013s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb