Malaga: a (very!) short bus ride away!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Málaga
March 31st 2015
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cadiz to Malaga


Total distance travelled from Santos: 5439 nautical miles



It wasn't the sunshine that woke me from my slumber to a sunny Malaga at 8:15am, it was a noise coming from our balcony. As I drew back the balcony curtains, the furniture had been stacked. Having only recently recovered from an Exorcist themed dream, an immediate thought would have been the scene from poltergeist if it wasn't for the dividing gate between balconies on this deck. Ours was unlocked and ajar. As I peered along the row of balconies I saw that all dividers were open and at the far end, a crew member was assembling a hose in preparation to wash the balconies.

Having researched all the ports prior to this trip, I was surprised when we received notification that the ship would provide a shuttle bus to the town centre for a cost of $9.90 as the centre of town is 20 minutes away. From the deck as I looked out across Malaga, it didn't look that far. It even looked like a pleasant walk, not your usual traipsing through an industrial container base. As we looked out across the terminal building, we spotted a small tourist train that had just departed heading down the quay toward the town centre. We decided that rather than rush down to purchase one of their shuttle bus tickets, we'd have a wander outside to suss out what the alternatives were.

Alternative 1. The mini tourist train. €3 one way. As we approached the driver he was busy on his mobile phone. 'Kaputt. No peep peep', he said waving us away in a friendly but decisive manner before returning to his conversation.

Alternative 2. The port shuttle. This cost €4 return and took passengers to the edge of the town centre. ‘Cross the road. Everything is there' we were told as the driver made an imaginary circle with his arm.

Alternative 3 – the MSC Shuttle bus. At $19.90 return not even a Hmm. Should we? Shouldn't we?' moment!!

So, alternative 2 it was then. As this was half what MSC were asking, we jumped on this bus without hesitation. The journey lasted only about 5 minutes and the route was indeed lined with cafes and shops before the bus terminated in a car park adjacent to a tourist information office.

After collecting a map we headed across the road toward the old town. It was only a short walk to the cathedral. This is a huge neo gothic, neo classical building that dominates the Malaga skyline.

Following the cathedral to the right we noticed someone wrestling underneath a dark blanket. We stood and watched for several minutes. This was either the shyest street performer we had ever seen or it was the crappest quick change artist on the circuit!! On our return an hour or so later it turns out he is one of these artists who look like they are leaning back sitting on thin air. They normally have one leg in contact with the ground, which is, and in this case very obviously, a false leg that is actually a steel stand to which a seat, hidden by the artists clothes, is attached!

Malaga is the largest city on the Costa del Sol and is also known as the birthplace of famous Spanish artist Pablo Picasso. We passed a museum dedicated to his life and work. Picasso is the art world equivalent of an ace footballer. Ronaldo? Pele? No, probably more like a George Best or Paul Gascoigne. His early work was exemplary but, and this is only one man's opinion, when he started with that abstract and cubism thing he always had to include Isiah in his work which I never understood. I don't mean ‘old testament' religious connotations but his painting usually included a matchstick face where one Isiah than the other!!!

One of the major attractions in Malaga is known as the Alcazaba. This is a Moorish castle built in the 11th century on a hill in the middle of the city. This fortress is arguably the best-preserved of its kind in Spain. This is something we'd have to leave for another time. The climb up past the ramparts offer excellent views of the city (apparently!) and there are lush gardens that surround a small Moorish palace at the top which holds a number of artefacts from excavations on the site. It was 33 degrees C and the word ‘climb' was nothing but a dirty word in this heat. At dinner this evening we learned that Stephen and Emelia DID walk up to the top of Alcazaba and further on up to the fortress beyond the Alcazaba known as the Castello Gibralfaro. They we so exhausted they had to take a taxi back down to the harbour. The fatigue showed on Stephen's face that evening!! I confirm that the best place to view this castle is from the top deck of a cruise ship!

Situated under the Alcazaba facing a small plaza are the beautiful remains of an old Roman theatre What's more, as Roisin and I approached the entrance we saw the words Gratis. Music to my ears!! The amphitheatre is visible from the Plaza but we got up close by entering the site. We entered a small room with a short film about the excavation. As this was currently being run in Spanish, we continued on to the site itself. By walking past the old stage it is possible to sit on the stone steps but as this involves ‘climbing' a few stairs we decided to admire and appreciate the ruins by remaining at stage level!!

Back on board, some late stragglers were actually booed and jeered from the decks of the ship. I'm not too sure why. They still had a few minutes on the clock. Maybe, as the captain was so peeved by the lateness of yesterday's departure due to two passengers, he was the one leading the chorus!!

We ate, this evening, once again, in Eataly, one of MSC Preziosa's speciality restaurants. This is normally an additional cost but black card members get a free meal each and 25% of drinks. We invited Julie and Brian as guests of Emelia and Stephen. The food is a cut above normal food received in the standard restaurant. Afterwards, as on most evenings we all retired to the buffet for coffee and sat around nattering. On this trip we haven't really bothered with much entertainment as we've got in to the habit of stopping in the buffet. We've missed acts such as this evening Carlo Truzzi's famous personalities and amazing animals appearing from nowhere in a magical world of illusions created by the master of the art of hand shadows!!

On leaving Malaga, the MSC Preziosa didn't stray more than a few miles from the coast. Spain was clearly visible all through the night (not that I was keeping watch!!) and all through the next morning. The water under the keel never grew beyond 70m.

Since arriving in Europe, the passage has been so smooth sometimes you feel as if the ship isn't even moving.

In the past week, we have only had one day at sea. Shortly before 1pm, the ship arrived in our 10th port of call this trip. We watched as the excursions for the day disembarked and soon after they were followed by all the other foot passengers. We had made an executive decision to stay on board and mind the ship!! It was hot. 36 degrees C. Peace at last…well for a few hours anyway!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb