July 1 2014 Ferlach - Trzic


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
July 1st 2014
Published: May 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Nice breakfast and then loaded the bikes. Internet coverage was good in the dining room only so it was great to read the posts that had come in overnight and get some FaceTime with Bei.

Gus started the day with his usual ritual of updating the satellites on his camera. He carries this out about a dozen times a day and I sometimes wonder if he is doing a part timer for ASIO. Then came the game of let's see if Gus can get his overshoes on the right feet (see photo). After much grunting and groaning he exclaimed that he got one boot on but couldn't contort enough to do up the second one. I didn't take the piss much! With boots now on the correct feet we set off in the rain for a ride over the pass. Drizzle one moment, sunshine the next, my jacket was off and on like a bride's nightdress. Big hills were the order of the day. We stopped at a cafe for a celebratory coffee thinking that we had got to the top only to realise that we had another 1000 feet to climb. Lol. We arrived at the top to go through the Mauthaausen Tunnel. On the Austrian side there appeared to be a small memorial to a few (named) people who died during 1943-45 whilst building the tunnel. Gus and I mistakenly called it the tunnel of love as we loved to go through it rather than over the bloody mtn. Sadly when we got to the Slovenian side there was a substantial memorial dedicated to the 1000s of prisoners of war who were interned in Mauthasen extermination camp and died whilst building the tunnel. Quite a shock! Although it was sobering to read about the sacrifice made by the POWs , their effort did not go unappreciated by both Gus and me.

Motorised units of the German Forces crossed the Ljubelj pass in 1941 due to its importance as a route across the Karavanke mountains. In 1943 the tunnel works resulted in a narrow pass from one side to the other. POWs were sent there to meet certain death. The Podljubelj camp was initially guarded by 100 SS troops but this was later increased to 300 and the new camp commander, Julie's Ludolf, initiated serious beatings called "corridas" which is the Spanish word for bullfight. The beatings rendered the POWs incapable for work and Ludolf was replaced by due to a large number of complaints. Jacob Winkler was his replacement and conditions didn't improve under his command. The memorial stands as a reminder to those who made the sacrifice. (Info courtesy of Tourist information centre).

Whilst descending from the tunnel we or rather I suggested that we take the road less travelled. There was a reason why it was less travelled.... It went up!!! Not funny at all!! We arrived in to Trtžič and after much searching located the tourist info. They asked us to return later whilst accomodation was booked. Fortunately there was a local cultural establishment next door so Gus and I paid it a visit (see photo). Gus banged on about his 5.6% beer he was inhaling whilst I pointed out that my accidental choice was 8.4%. Mind you I could only mange one. However Gus banged out 2 at 5.6% so he believes that the combination of the 2 now totalling 11.2% beats mine, lol. Not to moan about facilities in the town but they must be a tall race in Trzic. I went to the loo and had to be on my tiptoes to sort things out. Even the sink was lower... No I didn't.

Accommodation was booked but was a 3 km uphill ride to it. The owner drove down to the info centre with a hand written map of how to find it. The two people in the info centre (TIC) were extremely helpful and made our visit a pleasure. Not quite as pleasurable was the cycle up the side of the mtn to the accommodation. Lol.

We stayed at kmetija Stormann apartments. Lom pod Storzicem 10, 4290 Trzic. They were fantastic.
The TIC had heartily recommended a restaurant at the base of the hill where our accommodation was. Although it was a two kilometre abseil we thought we'd run the gauntlet and try it. Food was great. I had a house speciality of foal in a green pepper sauce. Gus had cordon bleu veal and stuffed with ham and cheese. The hike home was a bit rugged.

All in all we didn't cover huge kilometres but those we did do certainly counted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb