June 25 2014 Nova Gorica - Tolmin


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
June 25th 2014
Published: May 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Quite a large storm during the night so we woke to find that a substantial amount of rain had fallen. After breakfast Gus and I set off and followed the famous Soca River. Generally it is a beautiful blue green colour but due to the deluge was now a grey brown. As we were cycling along a main road we decided once again to take the road less travelled.
After a short time we discover that the road was blocked by a small tree or large bush so Gus sprang in to action with his skills as an arborist and started to drag the tree to one side. We let an ungrateful car driver through who didn't give as much of a wave for our efforts.
The first village we called into was Kanal. Apparently famous for the 2006 world diving championships. As we were contemplating where to go for a coffee a local ex mayor popped out from his exhibition and told us all about the book that he was writing about his 380,000 km trip hitch hiking around the world. More like One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest!! Without much ado we were whisked inside to see his exhibition of ping pong balls, beer mats and ice cream spoons. I jest not!

The roads were quiet as it was Independence Day and hence most houses were flying Slovenian national flags.
We continued on to Tolmin and stumbled across some mtn biking championships (see attached photos). Fortunately we were too late to enter the main event but could take part in one of the other events.... Beer drinking! Gus won first prize. ( see photos)

It now started to poor down so after asking for directions to our pre booked accommodation we set off under the mistaken belief that we were nearly there. Allegedly it was 2.2 kms. In reality it was 6.4 kms and when you are soaked to the skin the extra 4.0 kms up hill can be quite demoralising. We arrived and manage to find the manageress who spoke no English what so ever other than to offer us schnapps. I declined but Gus accepted and the result had to be seen to be believed. In short he skulled the home made highly flammable liquid, recycled it through his nostrils and honked it on to the paving and garden. Any sinusitis was cured. Thank goodness our host didn't witness the event. We eventually got into the room and had a welcome shower. Gus still concerned about the de bribing of his nasal cavity.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb