June 17 2014 Ljubljana, Horjul, Vrhnike, Logatec, Postojna


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
June 17th 2014
Published: May 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Up at 5.30 hrs. Breakie and pack our kit. We'd previously wrote the directions out of the city down so there should be no problems. Lol. Beautiful weather , flat roads. We made our way out of the city with relative ease. Only missed one turning and soon discovered that error so we backtracked. Our intended route was Ljubljana, Horjul, Vrhnike, Logatec, Postojna. Our actual route was Ljubljana, Horjul, Sentjost, Horjul, Vrhnike, Logatec, Laze, Rakek, Zelse, Postojna. Doesn't sound like a large mishap when it's written but we found that the side trip when we were geographically challenge to Sentjost was up and over the highest feature in the state. We cycled up for more than an hour. My poor chicken legs burned so much I thought I was going to have roast chicken. On the flat they were pumping out the kilometres and going up and down like a bride's night dress. What a difference a hill makes or should I say 2700 feet makes. Initially Gus and I thought it was funny to have missed the turning until we realised that we had to go back up and over the bloody mountain we had just donated two litres of sweat for. We decided on a different route. Smart eh? No!!!! The road was so steep we had to push the bikes. Lol. We backtracked and got back on the correct route still with a sense of humour. That lasted for about the next four hours when in order to reach the final destination we agreed to take the road less travelled. We soon realised why. Even the mountain goats had altitude sickness. The upside was we got to see stuff that few people get to see..... Lungs, stomach contents, more sweat!!! Humour was a bit thin on the ground to say the least. Legs were now a furnace.
We met a lovely couple who had cycled from Poland. Their advice is still ringing in my ears. Stay off the white roads ( referring to the road we were on. They go up and down a lot)). We were obviously on the wrong road as we hadn't gone down yet. Road surface changed from paved to gravel to wood chips. It was like cycling through treacle. Mind you we stumbled across some really awesome sights. The attached photos don't do it justice. After nearly 10 hours we arrived at our accommodation


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb