Slovenia wins, Geelong loses.


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Kranjska Gora
August 19th 2023
Published: August 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Tricked you! We are not in Kranjska Gora as the placings state but we are pretty close. That’s pretty close in driving, motorcycling, push biking, in-line skating, motorised wheelchair, hand operated wheelchair and cross-country ski training things terms. All these things passed us at some time today! Not so close in walking terms. As usual it was the uphill morning push, tough but spectacular when we levelled out a bit. Quaint villages, a few cows and breathtaking views (or was that the uphill slog!) back, along and forward make the gradient well worthwhile. Much of today was on road and bike path which although hard on the feet makes for quick walking and the km melt away pretty quickly. In addition our accommodation is short of the official end of the trail which we consider a bonus until tomorrow when we have to make it up. As penance for my supposedly blasphemous comments our room is 2 floors up and up stairs that that seem quite English in that they are steep and skinny. Really good shower (good pressure and it gets really cold! Strange criteria but important for muscle recovery.) but the room is hot and a bit stuffy so both Julie and I are down stairs where it’s still hot but less stuffy. some good smells coming from the kitchen which will make menu selection difficult later. The accomodation is really a ‘gostina’ which we don’t have a real translation for. It’s sort of a cultural, heritage restaurant. But it has Radlers! And later we will put the food to the test. The next couple of nights we also spent in gostina style accommodation so I’m looking forward to some Slovenian style food. Last night we both had goulash (very meaty, very hearty and quite a deal of paprika but the veggie content and bean content I associate with goulash was missing) and another kransky sausage. Yes that is 3 serves in 3 days. This kransky came with nothing but mustard! Again good but… the kransky sausage here is meaty and moist. It has no paprika or chilli content and is very strictly mandated for fat content, meat content etc. I think they must be boiled first then lightly grilled as often they have no or very few grill marks. Often they are served with what I thought were traditional slashes through the skin but not always. I have a photo but the quality is poor.

I’ve now had a litre and a half of Radler and a half litre only an hour or so from the finish so I’m feeling basically human again. They even know to give me ice in the glass with the cold bottle here!

I’ll drop a few more photos, attempt to think of something clever to accompany them and then go. We are walking a few km to the nearby village which will mean we can cut it tomorrow.

Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb