Another day in Slovenia.


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Slovenian Littoral » Bovec
August 15th 2023
Published: August 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Another day in Slovenia. Sounds like a bit of a put down but anything but. Slovenia is beautiful. The rivers, the mountains, the villages, the towns, the people have been terrific. We’re very comfy in the hotel now, early check in, showered and feeling quite human again. It’s a half board arrangement and we have selected evening meal from soups, carpaccio of beef with homemade breads, hand made sheep curd with pumpkin and honey, ‘pork fish’ or veal ribs and salads and deserts. Not sure what pork fish is but I’m having it! The half board arrangements have provided us with home cooked offerings which have been good but pretty basic. Here local trout is a treat but we have missed it so far. Not all our accommodations have offered half board so often we are out look out for options. Surprisingly we have resisted hamburgers but some of them look really good, especially if you go the cheese or chicken option. The hamburger meat is compressed and looks funny and is a little chewy. We have had the little skinless sausages they make here and grill, served with salad, capsicum purée and mustard which has suited me. Usually Julie and I share a main course as that leaves more room for beer and ice cream. But breakfast is the big one. Cereals, yogurts, fruit, breads, cheeses, meats, pastries and coffee with the occasional crepe makes for our big meal and they have been great. Top that with excellent fruit yogurts made locally, fruit smoothies, jams and honey and we are off to a good start. And the beer is good. Lasko is the Slovenian favourite but Union Radler, the 2% one is terrific. It’s fruity, easy to drink and tastes great. Even Julie likes it! Topped up with gelato and the occasional potato chips we are fat and happy here.

The final 2 km today was on black asphalt and uphill so the last little bit coloured our impressions of the day’s walk a bit. Otherwise it was delightful, along the Soči River, up the hills, along and down again. Yeh, hot but after a cold and long shower (self imposed not a result of a poor hotel!) and after a couple of drinks the trail seemed really good today. Another moderate day tomorrow which may be for the best as Julie has a bit of an ankle problem. Pretty sure it’s just overuse which means she may be the only person to hop half the Juliana Trail. We had to take a bus part way today due to construction works but how we would we sleep if we took the bus again! It’s quite freaky that 15 minutes in the bus cuts 2 or 3 hours from the walk. Despite the fact that it’s a public holiday here the bus ran to schedule and cost us less than $2 each.

We are at the outdoor sports capital of Slovenia according to the tourist blurb. Canoeing, rafting, kayaking, walking, swimming, bike riding, paragliding… pursuits are everywhere and admittedly the river does look very enticing. Tough for us to get wet as once the boots go on they don’t come off until I‘be arrived at the destination. Plenty of locals on a public holiday have made the most of the opportunity though and the trails have been busy with walkers and bike riders of all shapes and sizes and ages.

Tomorrow is not a big day so I’ll put Julie to the test but there are a couple of biggies coming so the bus/walk option will be investigated. We actually walk into Italy in 2 days! Sounds impressive. Soon we walk further upstream and into the mountains again. We will see how things go.

Caio for now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb