DAY 55 LECCE and (Doors of Altamura, Matera, Alberobello)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Lecce
July 9th 2023
Published: July 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The day began with, “Buon compleano, Tom”. Joyful memories recalled.

Departed early for Lecce via back roads so not to go through larger towns such as Manduria. The plan was to get to the coast, have a swim, feel the sand between the toes, have a squizzy at the locals, catch a bite to eat and follow the coast south until the turn-off for Lecce. Apart from dodging potholes, poor surfaces and continually being amazed at the Italian road users and their parking habits, all was going to plan until I endeavoured to go through, due to roadworks, a narrow gap. I hit the right-hand side high rock curb, puncturing the right front tyre … the first time in my driving career. The only ‘excuse’ I can give is that one cannot see the front of the car, particularly the right front. As Mark Twain once wrote, “There are millions of excuses but not one good reason”. Hence, I take full responsibility and the crap I’m going to receive from my sons.

One had to see the vehicle chaos, parking and driving, for 10’s of kms along the coast to believe it. Totally stressful driving. Not one opportunity to
stop and swim. Under Jane’s navigational skills we continued to Lecce, arriving at our accommodation totally buggered. Some days of travel are like this and fortunately ours are rare. Gratitude.

The previous evening, we had again enjoyed the night life of Martina Franca, with a marching band and singers entertaining the throngs. We dined at the same restaurant as the night before as we had struck up a good relationship with the waiters. It ended with goodbyes Italian style. The crowd was much bigger than the night before with many more older couples, walking hand-in-hand or sitting on benches or standing in groups, out for the evening.

As I write this I see that England have defeated Australia in the 3rd Ashes Test. I am calm; probably calmer than some friends who are Dockers fans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





Campanomarino Beach.


















Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb