DAY 54 ALBEROBELLO


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Alberobello
July 8th 2023
Published: July 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Trulli territory, Alberobello.
Alberobello is trulli territory. Martina Franca area is trulli territory. There are hundreds. Most of the farms and very small villages are constructed in the trulli style. What is a trulli?

From the outside you see a whitewashed stone hut with a conical roof. They are limestone dwellings of drywall (mortarless) construction made of roughly worked limestone boulders. The domed/conical roof is built up of corbelled limestone slabs (see instruction diagram). The walls are double skin with rubble core. Doorways and small windows pierce the thick walls. An internal fireplace and alcoves are recessed into the walls. The roof is also double skin with a watertight outer core. Water is collected via the projecting eaves at the base of the roof which divert water through channelled slabs into a cistern beneath the house. Ingenious.

We left our trulli to visit the trulli capital, Alberobello, about 13kms away. The result: we read, saw, touched, photographed and walked amongst trulli homes. We now know and understand what they are, how they’re built and what they’re used for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Corbelled construction diagram.


Trulli corbelled constructed roof.



Very thick walls.


Run offs.


Community.



Gardens, greenery, to break the 'brightness'.


Neat entrance to a trulli home.




Trulli homes with linked rooves.


Community.



The 'blokes' gossiping.


A long catwalk being prepared for models to display designer wares ... tomorrow!


The catwalk curves.


Letter boxes protected from the weather at the road entrance to a small trulli village.


A well-to-do landowner with olive grove and fig orchard backing onto his property.



Beautifully maintained trulli with secure wall construction.



La Chiesa di Contradu Nigri services the village community.


9th July 2023

Catching up :)
I enjoyed this day's blog. Did you stay in one of these?.. Did you get to go inside? :)

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb