DAY 53 MARTINA FRANCA


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Martina Franca
July 8th 2023
Published: July 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We rose early to walk around the top of Sassi and down to the bottom (plus up again). Only the collectors of rubbish were around and the odd person walking their dog. For us, it’s always rewarding to see a town/village with no one about. For nightlife, we prefer people. I began capturing (photographing) doors and steps.

After making our way to the car it was onto Martina Franca through farmland and National Parks and our “Trulli” accommodation for 2 nights. Everything is so close in this small region so well within 2 hours we had arrived. I drive slowly … too slow for the Italians. Once again, our accommodation is immaculate. Being quite tired from the very late night and early rising this morning we decided to rest up to energise for our exploration this evening when it will be cooler and families will be about.



Another great evening spent out ... pre-dinner drink, conversation with an excellent English speaking young couple with child and dog from Germany, dinner and a young waitress of 16 who spoke Italian, English, French and German fluently as she studies languages at school, mixing with the crowd listening to music

Al Calderaio ... boilermaker ... synonymous of the area.
whilst waiting for the Martina Franca Influencer contest to begin and a brisk walk home followed by a cold shower. Yes, another great evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Our accommodation is the building directly above the 'round hole' in the middle of the photo. The 2 windows are ours.


Walking the Sassi area. Home to hundreds as well as businesses.




Far side of Sassi ... river runs by.





There are about 12 levels spanning the height of 380m and all connected by a network of paths, stairways and courtyards.


In the 1950's as part of a policy to clear the extreme poverty of the Sassi, the government used force to relocate most of the population to new public housing.




Our Trulli Fenice accommodation.



A fervent conversation in progress.


Chiesa di Sant' Antonio built in the 14th century. I liked its simplicity.


Walking the park.


Also taking in the pleasantness of the park, 4 local women.


Piazza XX Settembre


9th July 2023

stairs and levels
I imagine all the residents keep really fit with all those stairs etc. No need for a gym. :)

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb