Fun and Friends in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 7th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.8566, 2.35097

July 8
We had a wonderful week in Paris, had some new adventures and went back to some of our favorite places. Our first order of business was to wash clothes which was an adventure in itself. Using google maps ......finally found the washateria. Like in Venice, you put money in one central dispenser to wash, get soap and dry your clothes.

Across the street from the laundromat was Le Petit, and we decided to try it for lunch. Turned out to be a very popular locals hangout as the place filled up quickly and the food was very nice. We had to set menu which was a nice portion but some of the other dishes looked delightful.

Had dinner at our place and then went to the bar La Fourmi for an after dinner drink and some great people watching.

July 9 - had a low key day fixing some picnic food and just relaxing

July 10
The next day we were proper tourists, walked the steps up to Sacre Couer and walked around enjoying the view and the church itself. Walked around and then down the hill to find the church we could see from our balcony. Turned out to be the Church Elise St. Jean de Montmarte. It was built in the late l800's and was the first example of a church being built using reinforced concrete. Is a very lovely church. This was on a Sunday and there were crowds everywhere but was not a real problem.

Walked over to a small park, known as the I Love You park because this is written in hundreds of languages and ate our lunch. Watched as people from all over the world came and stood by "I love you" in their language. Was quite interesting to see.

One of the things we enjoy doing in Paris is visiting some of the old cemeteries scattered around. The Montmarte cemetery was close by and so we spend a couple of hours looking at all the interesting crypts and statuary scattered throughout.

July 11
Did an exercise walk up and down the steps to Sacre Coeur before our friends Andre and Lillie arrived from Antwerp on their way to a meeting outside of Paris. Decided to go to Printemps to enjoy the rooftop view of Paris. Had some extra entertainment as the French Air Force was giving a display of their air power is all we could surmise. Since Bastille Day was just around the corner, we thought they could be having a practice run but it was quite a show.

While we were visiting with them, got a call from Vincent, our friend from Rotterdam, who is the conductor on the high speed train from Amsterdam to Paris. He was in town for the night and we all agreed to meet at La Fourmi for a drink. Had appetizers and a drink and lots of laughs catching up with each other and what had been going on.

At some point during this day, we also walked over to the Quayside where we rented the houseboat last year and had a drink on the waterfront. Had dinner at an Oriental place that was not as good as the reviews had led us to believe. One last drink at place near their hotel before calling it an evening and agreed to meet for breakfast in the morning.

July 12
Had breakfast with Andre and Lillie and said our goodbyes as they set off for their meeting. We decided to try out a new adventure and go bicycling in the Bois de Bologne. Laura did not think she would enjoy bicycling out on the busy streets of Paris. Used the Velib bicycles that are found all over Paris. Basically you put your card in machine, chose a bicycle by number and remove it from its holder. The first 30 minutes are free and some people ride from Velib spot to the next not paying for their ride. We did not chose this option and enjoyed our ride through the park even when it poured down rain for about 30 minutes! To return the bikes you put them in their harness and make sure the machine clicks to show you have locked and returned the bike otherwise the 150 euro charge they put on your card will stay in place! Fixed dinner back at #8 Blvd de Clichy.

July 13
Got ourselves pretty well packed up because we have a very early departure in the morning and then went to check out some of the first places we went on our first trip to Paris, the fountains at St. Michel and then over to see what had happened to Hotel Henri IV. No longer, and is now exclusive holiday rentals. Walked down to Seine and had a drink on a barge and watched the boat traffic and enjoyed our last night in Paris.

July 14
Got ourselves up and downstairs in time for early morning pickup. The streets were still busy with people just finishing up their evening! The police were already setting up barricades in anticipation of Bastille Day celebrations. Had some extra charges on luggage and had to put our daypacks in our packs but the flight was uneventful.




Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb