We’re walking.


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Krapina-Zagorje
August 3rd 2023
Published: August 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Tricked you. It’s not hiking boots and poles (for Julie) yet but track shoes and sunscreen as we walk, boat and car/train around and over the Plitvice Lakes.
But first, we found some pretty good ice-cream, not the best but pretty good. And that was after stumbling across an outdoor concert commemorating the Romani genocide. Yes I know that sounds as welcome as a pig at a Jewish picnic but it was surprisingly good. Probably 20 orchestral members (percussionist, harpist, violist…) and 4 excellent vocalists belted out some great sounds. Very gypsy/Spanish feel but fun.

Now it’s today and breakfast and the customary raid on the rolls, roast beef, salami and cheese platters. Always enjoy breakfast then we were off round the corner to meet our transport for the day. It’s just over 2 hours travel each way but going there we stopped at Rostoke, a very quaint milling village in order to stretch our legs and spend some money. We did one of those. Very picturesque and intriguing to see the engineering of the mills was so different to typical English mills that are powered by large water wheels. Here the mills were powered by water but in a markedly different manner. Julie has just corrected the spelling of Rastoke, it should be Rastoke. Must be my Croatian accent that confused me!

The drive as mentioned was about 2 hours and in that time I saw European number plates from HR, BY, H, PL, CZ, D, SL, SK and BH. Anyone who get 9 from 9 without checking will be barred from future quizzes. Ala you’re already under heavy scrutiny so any score of 7 or more will rule you out for sure. I think everyone car we saw was heading to the Lakes. The lakes are in a National Park and they do cap the numbers but everyman and lots of dogs were there. Some of the photos show just how busy it was. We took the long route which equated to just over 8 km but sections in common with shorter routes were choc-a-block. Walking was easy and in the Forrest the shade made it really pleasant as the temperature was at about 28 degrees. Entry includes some transport by an impressive Merc Unimog and a not so impressive ferry but both were good. It’s a big day and a pricey one with park entry set at €40 but it’s good.

The number of photos will far exceed the script so don’t forget to have a look for them then at them.

Off to Bled tomorrow and off to bed now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



4th August 2023

Swimming
Noone was swimming. Isn't that allowed? The lakes look magnificent!
4th August 2023

Swimming?
Looks good, is bad! Bad for the lake’s system as it destroys the bottom and consequently the delicate eco balance.

Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb