Kayaking the Rio de Panica with Pelicans


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.71615, -85.03

We had made arrangements with Eduardo to use the kayaks in the morning when the tide would still be rising. Kayak rental was a great deal. $20 for as much as we wanted to use the boat while we were there. There were some other people that were going to use it later that afternoon but we had the kayak for the morning. It was a sit on top with no back but another chance to work on better posture. Low tide was to be at 7:00 a.m. that morning and high tide at around noon. We figured if we hit the river around 10:00 a.m., we would be experiencing the rising tide and everything would be just fine. We decided we wanted to check out how we would get into the river before we brought the boat down there.

Walked to the river and saw a rocky incline where we would miss the area where the waves from the bay were coming into the river or the sandy shore where the waves were coming in but at a still lower tide would be easily ridden.

Eduardo had shown us the kayak trailer but he wanted you to return the trailer after you got the boat to the water and we decided we did not want to have to return the boat trailer before getting on the river so decided to do some upper body conditioning and carry the boat down to the water ourselves. Carry 50 feet, rest, carry 75 feet, rest and so on down to where Robert was able to drag it across the sand without fear of damaging the bottom.

The trip was magic from the very beginning. We saw some buzzards roosting on the beach as were putting the kayak into the water. Was shallow so we walked the kayak through the opening into the river and then got on. The Rio Panica was alive with birds as we took off! Osprey, egrets, night herons, tri-colored herons all crossing back and forth in front of our boat. Because the tide was coming in we were able to drift part of the way. The water was quite pleasant and did stick my feet into the water to cool off as we drifted along. Did do paddling as well.

Got to the bench where we had sat the day before and took some time to enjoy the pelicans fishing and cooling off on the log in the river. Pulled to the shore and got out and stretched our legs and backs. We are not used to kayaking without back support so it felt very nice.

Got as far as we could and you could see the bridge not too far away. As we turned around, found a place that was nice and shady and we pulled in there to enjoy. While there enjoyed a small jesus lizard and a very large one that had his back ruff/head dress up and looked quite formidable!

Headed back and saw Eduardo guiding the three ladies that were going to use the kayaks that afternoon. By the time we got to the opening from the river back out to the bay, the tide was high and the waves were roaring in. There were fishermen throwing their nets on the right side of the bank and so we went to the left. Watched one of them cross the opening and it did not look to high so secured everything and Robert pulled the kayak across and Laura waded along behind.

Got the kayak out of the river and to a nice shady place and Robert went and got the kayak trailer to pull the kayak home. This made the return trip easier but the tires were very soft and Eduardo took it to be repaired the next day so it was not available for our next day kayak adventure.

When we got back to Cristina's we went next door to get some ice and things for brunch. Luis the manager of the Super Rey grocery store took us outside to show us an owl that was perched in the tree right there above our heads. Finally determined it was a Pacific Screech Owl.

First of the month so paid bills and then decided to have dinner at Tambor Tropical. It was a very nice setting with lovely view of the beach. Food was not as pricey as thought it would be and Robert had a nice gin and tonic and Laura of course, so boring, red wine.

Back to Cristina's for a few drinks and visit with the other guests. Talked to the three girls who had gone kayaking in the afternoon. Had not scouted out the route, tide was low and missed the entrance to the river and had some adventures getting back to shore.




Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

??
?

guesses could include tri-colored heron or little blue heron or what do you think?
Egret fishes from the rio's bank, pelican nearby!Egret fishes from the rio's bank, pelican nearby!
Egret fishes from the rio's bank, pelican nearby!

First time to ever see a pelican fishing up a river away from the sea!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb