Johnny, El Cacique de Alajuela


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica
February 25th 2015
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 10.0333, -84.1833

Finally got everything packed up and ready to go. Jerry took us to the airport and we got checked in and to our delight were both TSA prechecked which made going through security a breeze. They did check my rolling carry on which was to be expected because carrying medicines.

Ate lunch at the airport and checked to weather situation in DFW area one more time. According to the weather swervice, it was snowing in Dallas and they were expecting snow to be sticking to the ground. Not quite the weather to be flying in but it was sunshine and blue skies in Austin so were hoping for the best.

Got on the plane and took off on time and things looked to be clear and were so at DFW as well! Landed at Terminal C and walked to catch our next flight in Terminal D to get some exercise since we were going to be flying for four hours. The plane was delayed for about 45 minutes but finally on our way. There is a festival Envision going on in Costa Rica in the village of Uvita. Music, yoga, workshops, and general festival activities and there were a lot of people heading to the festival on the plane. How did you know one might ask? Lot of yoga mats in the overhead bins.

Flight was just fine and we landed without incident. Got our luggage and went to the Kolbi desk to get some wifi time and then headed out to the taxis. According to our instructions we were to take a Orange taxi to the San Jose Airport Lodge. Problem was the taxi drivers did not know this place even with the hint that it was behind the Agricultural park. Tried to call but no answer and our phone was not working. So decided to hop in the taxi and see if we could find the place. Lo and behold, the name of the place is really Cacique Lodge and for some reason the name is different in the AirBnB listing. The price for the taxi was $4 US which is what we had read the cost would be.

Got ourselves unloaded and met our first neighbor, Graham. Was heading to the Envision festival the next day. Then Tom arrives, also heading to the festival. He had his guitar with him and entertained us for the evening. Another couple from Arizona arrived also heading to the festival and we all had a great evening listening to Tom play and sing and travel conversation that is always great fun. Robert had emailed Johnny, the owner of the place and asked if he could buy some red wine since we would be getting in after stores closed and he had done so! Great evening!

Combination of late night, stress from packing and getting ready and nice comfortable bed because we managed to sleep until 9:00 a.m. Don't do that very often. Breakfast was toast with our cheese, bananas, and coffee. Decided to go and change some money and get some supplies at the Mas y Menos in Alajuela. Johnny told us where to catch the bus and off we set. Lady at the bus stop was explaining to us in rapid fire Spanish and have not yet got back into the swing to pick up the gist of what is being said but we did get on the bus and get off where we had planned to. Cost of the bus one way each person was 550 colones.

Experience in the Costa Rica banks is different than what we experience back home. One person at a time is allowed through a enclosed glass door and then if you have a handbag they will check it. Then you take a number and then head to the counter and change your money. Got our money changed and then strolled through a neighborhood to get to the Mas y Menos.

Amazingly, we did not buy out the Mas y Menos but there were several things tempting us but we resisted on most of them. Got things to make our dinner and then went to the cafeteria and had the meal Economico which consists of black beans, rice, picadillo and salad. Not true picadillo but cooked squash. Very nice and then caught the bus back to Johnny's place. Did some packing up, catching up on paperwork and then fixed dinner and sat out in the enclosed upper porch. Quite interesting because you can see the tail fins of the airplanes as they taxi out and then come roaring back for takeoff. You also see the traffic stuck out on the freeway. Nice way to relax and begin our trip. Went downstairs and watched a local Alajuela team against an United States team. Learned a phrase used by the Costa Ricans after they score and the ball goes to the other team "tomela con leche". All in all was a pleasant evening with lots of nice conversation with Johnny.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Parque Agricultor Parque Agricultor
Parque Agricultor

Monument, meant to symbolize a bean, is reminder of former coffee growing area now occupied by airport.
El CaciqueEl Cacique
El Cacique

old family guesthouse near SJO airport


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb