Back on familiar ground


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
September 24th 2011
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.3833, 103.933

The rain has ben teeming down throughout the first half of our journey when we pull in to the bus station at Khorat for a 20min rest break and toilet stop. Manage to get a phone call home to report in on progress then we are off and I am heading back to sleep again.
Arrive in Phon Thong about 05:00 and as none of the tuk-tuk drivers at the bus station can be bothered to get off their fat lazy arses I have to pay a bit over the odds to get a ride out to the village. The rains have had a drastic effect on the new road that was laid last year and in places it is worse than it was before they repaired it !!
Arriving back at the house first impressions are favourable and it looks to be largely intact. The garden is another matter and resembles a south American rain forest !! Closer inspection of the house reveals that the big light in the main room is missing. Apparently it dropped out of the ceiling one night and was only stopped from smashing on the floor by the electric flex. Jai's son took the light down and it is now sat on the floor in the spare bedroom. In the bathroom I find that the drain for the wet room is blocked and that there is a couple of inches of dodgy water all over the floor - lovely. Jai's son heads off for some castic soda to put down the drain and appears to hjave cleared it shortly afterwards whilst I am shut in the bedroom unpacking food etc from cases and getting it into the fridge. The butter seems to have travelled quite well despite the long delays and although there has been a small dribble into the coolbag it looks OK.
Jai's big sister Begat has made us some sticky rice for the day and with her and Jai's daughter in law we all begin the big clean up with particular emphasis on the kitchen where every pan, plate, knife, fork etc gets a good scrubbing - possibly the first they have had in 6 months !!! I wander around and take a few photos of the garden then we hand out a few prezzies to the willing(?) workers. The trees that we planted last year are flourishing and will shortly need trimmimng to stop them growing too tall. There have been some limes, lots of pommegranites and dragonfruits and there is a bunch of bananas just coming into flower.
Work nearly finished we finally have some time alone and I go and pick some chillies and papaya from the ngarden and Jai knocks up some food. Jai and myself finish unpacking and have a rest in an otherwise lazy afternoon. Begat turns up with a curry in the evening and joins us to eat before I am crashed out in bed by 19:00.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st October 2011

Looks like you need a handyman ! I'm looking for work ! Ha !

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb