Koh Tao - my favourite island in all of Thailand <3


Advertisement
Thailand&#039;s flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
April 19th 2011
Published: November 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We got up at 7 in the morning and got ready to leave, Stefanie and I were heading for Koh Tao and Frank for Bangkok and Denmark - poor him.

We arrived at Koh Tao and I tried looking for the bungalows I had lived in earlier, but I couldnt find them at first so we found another place where we could stay for the night. The island had been flooded a couple of weeks before we arrived and you could see that the resort had taken damages, but other than that there were not many damages to see.

We found the place I had stayed at earlier (S.B.C) and decided to move there the next day. We went to Coffee Boat for some lunch, which is a small local restaurant I keep coming back to. Cheap, good food and free wi-fi = best combo. We spent the day at the beach, but the water was too low for us to swim properly. We had cheap dinner, 50 bath per person and again good food.

After that we decided to have a massage, which turned out to be very good for our backs. In the evening we went to Lotus Bar, which I had also been to with my family four years before, it was cool to see it again and a lot more fun to be there with a friend who was more in a party mood - we didn't drink much that night, but just made fun of other drunk people which is a good hooby as a backpacker. When the ladyboys (there are a lot of them on Koh Tao) arrived, we decided to call it a night.

Next morning we started out with moving to Sairee Beach Cabana and got a cottage for 400 bath per night. We had breakfast on Coffe Boat. After that we rented an ATV and drove down to Big Fish where my fathers friend Claus were staying. Naturally, he was out shopping for breakfast which he made with all his boyscout gear at his room. It was really nice to see someone from home again and he gave us a lot of tips about the island and we talked about how our trips had been.

Our ATV Eton did not drive very well, so we had to leave him sometimes at the end of a steep hill and then hike the rest of the way. We went up to Sunview reasturant which has the beast view over the island, and we had some lunch there.

Afterwards we went to Aw Leak beach to snorkel and it was really amazing, a lot of big and colourful fish, there were so much to see there. We had some drinks before starting the hike back to Eton at the top of the hill. Then he drove us back to the hotel.

We had dinner at Yang which Claus had recommended. Good and cheap food. After that we went bowling in the real flinstone way, no machines only man-power. The next morning we forced ourselves to stay in bed untill 11:30 because we could hear the rain outside. After that we had some really good sandwiches at Zanzibar, which I can really recommend.

Then we went to the harbour to have a look and on the way we passed Mr. J, which is a hotel but also a shop with a lot of funny signs - see pictures. We had a swim at a beach next to the harbour and went shopping for a bit. After that we returned to Sairee Beach and had dinner at El Toro. We tried watching a movie there, but the power went off so we didnt suceed.

After that we went to see Thai boxing, but it wasnt as good as in Haad Rin. After the fight we went to Lotus Again for a couple of beers. The next morning we did some laundry and after that we went for breakfast on coffee boat as usual. Then we found a taxi boat which we hired for all day.

We started going to Koh Nang-Yuan which was a first, unfortunately the island has been taken over by some Germans so now you have to pay for everything, you even have to pay just to get on the island. It was really beautiful though and a really good place for snorkeling too - so all in all reccomendable. We chose to snorkel at the spot called japanese garden, where there were a lot of beautiful fish and the corals there were way more beautifull than the other places we had been.

After this we went to Mango Bay, which is a very beautiful bay too, only with a couple of cottages on the cliffs and no people. We saw some really big fish there, since we were further out in open sea. Then we went on to Hin Wong Bay and Shark Island, both really great places too, but the first ones were definitely the best ones.

We went back to the beach for a couple of hours to enjoy the last hours of the sun. In the evening we went to have BBQ and afterwards massage, my legs were really hurting at that point so it was really nice. The next day we went for breakfast and afterwards to an internet café.

We went to the beach but a really bad thunder started so we went back to the bungalow.

When it stopped we went to the beach for dinner, thai food! We went to Lotus Bar where there was live music. We met Nate who we had also met in Cambodia, this time he had not gotten any new tattoos, but instead a black eye from playing 'shot', where you drink a shot and get punched in the face.

The next day we would be moving on to Koh Chang on the Myanmar side aka Robinson Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb