Bangkok - finally back in our second home


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 13th 2012
Published: January 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in the airport after a good flight, this time it didn't feel as long as usual.

We wanted to take a taxi from the airport but because my father brought his bike in a big box, no one wanted to drive us with taxi meter from the stands at the airport, everyone wanted 800 bath which is far too much. We tried to see if there were any busses for Kao Sahn but without luck. But we were lucky enough to meet one taxi by the parking house and he agreed to take us for 400 bath. It was not easy getting the bike secured in the trunk and sitting with all our backpacks in the taxi but we managed. We arrived at the hotel that my father had booked from home very cheap, Sawasdee Welcome Inn. It's placed just behind Kao Sahn and the rooms are small but to our surprise they had aircon.


To my luck the wi-fi did not work when I wanted to download my exam assignement (last one of the semester), but they sent me to Sawasdee Smile Inn just 200 meters down the road where I could also use the wi-fi for free. We got thai food for lunch and I started writing. After lunch we went to the room were my sister slept while I wrote the assignment. After 4-5 hours we went down to the reception where our parents were sitting and the wi-fi was working again. So I finished the assignment and uploaded it. After this it was getting very late and we were all hungry. We went to a local market nearby but didn't find any intreaging food, so we decided to go back to Kao Sahn. On the main roads there were lights in all the trees, I guess it must be for christmas, ususally its not there but I guess they decorate for christmas for all the tourists. We went to Kao Sahn and met our friend Pé, he told us we could eat at Hippie de Bar, so we tried that. Very good food - mine was a little too spicy but I kind of like it that way.

We went back to the market in my fathers search for sandals.They had all kinds of crap but no good sandals. It felt like we were walking around there for decades, we have to get used to the heat still! I was getting tired and my feet were starting to hurt so we went back to Kao Sahn and tried to see if we could book another hotel for the next night but without luck. Instead we went to get thai massage which was really good. When we left we met Pé again but we were too tired to drink so we decided to meet up the day after instead. We ate noodles at our usual place and then we went to bed.

I woke up early and went to the reception to go on the internet. Then Maria joined me and half an hour before free breakfast ended I had to wake up our parents. They said our room did not include breakfast, so my father spent 40 minutes finding the papers and printing them, so we had late breakfast. Then he went looking for a new hotel and found two rooms at our old hotel, Kao Sahn Palace Inn, with a roof top pool. We stayed by the pool all day and I slept a little.

Then we had dinner at a small local restaurant. We wanted to take a walk by the river but everything was closed off, so we couldn't do that. Then we searched for sandals for my father, without luck once more. After that we went to a small bar and had a beer - then we went to meet up with Pé and we had some more beer watching funny people on Kao Sahn, my favourite thing to do when in BKK.

We slept very long and went to have breakfast. Then we went to the river because we wanted to go to Koh Kred but we found out that the boat took two hours so we decided to go the day after instead. Instead we went to the weekend market with a crazy taxi driver, but we made it alive. We found some shoes and sunglasses for my father and I bought a t-shirt. I felt a little sick everytime we went inside the small streets of the market, but it was funny to see it again, you can buy a lot of unusefull things there. We went back for a quick swim and then we had some dinner.

After dinner we met up with Pè who had invited us to a bicycle race. We went a long way outside the city and met his team called Monster. One girl and a lot of boys. There were three races, women, street and elite. In elite you cannot have any brakes on the bike. Women drove three rounds and men five, it was on a paved road - it was a lot of fun to watch, everyone where cheering and shouting when they passed. Unfortunately there were a couple of accidents in race. Their team won silver medals in both womens and street race. After the race we went to the hospital to check on the three who were injured and after we went to a restaurant with them and celebrated - we were out untill four, my parents too.

The following morning we got up at 10 and packed our things, then we went to check out and get our backpacks stowed away. After this we had breakfast and then we walked to the pier. We took a boat to Nonchaburi and then a boat to Koh Kred. We had about two hours at the island, and walked around looking at pottery, temples and the village. There were many small roads and a very quiet lifestyle, a lot of pottery and old owens they used to use for making the pottery. A small oasis just north of Bangkok with no traffick or noise.

After this, to our surprise the boat made two more small stops for us to buy things, so it was not a public boat but one for tourists instead. Then we went for a swim in the pool and afterwards we had dinner - we picked up our backs and went to find a taxi, it took some attempts to find someone who could bring my fathers bike.



Then we arrived at the Eakkamai busstation and bought a busticket to Trat. In Trat we took a taxi to the ticket office for the boat. At 5:30 we left the office and went to the pier.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb