Koh Chang - lovely island with crappy music!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Eastern Thailand » Koh Chang
December 16th 2012
Published: January 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at the pier at around 7 and found a taxi. First we had planned to go to White Sand Beach but it turned out that there were not many bungalows there, mostly hotels and too many tourists. We would have stayed if it wasn't for our taxi driver who told us we couldn't get a room for under 2000 bath there, which of course turned out not to be true. So we continued to Lonely beach which had also been recommended to us by our friend in BKK. We got some bungalows at Siam Hut for 380 bath, which was okay but there were no towels, soap, toilet paper and so on... On the other hand we were right on the beach.

We went to the beach to catch up on our sleep after spending all night travelling. After that we went to feed some monkeys that were just across the street from us. We had dinner in the city just 10 minutes from there. We went back to watch a movie at the bungalows but we were too tired and decided to go to bed early.

The next day we woke up at 10 and had some breakfast. After breakfast we went to the beach where we stayed all day. This time I had brought my lonely planet bible, so I could read up on Chile and do some research for my next trip. After a shower we went to get some dinner in the city - after dinner we had thai massage and then we went to our bungalows and went on the internet before going to bed.

The day after we got up around 10 again and got some breakfast. Then we took a taxi to somewhere near Bang Bao to go ride on elephants. We took the trip on two hours and also went into the water to swim with the elephants which was really fun! After this we walked through Bang Bao and used the swimming pool at some other hotel there. Then we went back home and had thai food for dinner at our usual place. Afterwards we went home an saw a movie at the reception and then we went to bed.

Next morning we got up at 9 and had breakfast. Then we went up to rent bikes and drive around the island. We started by going up to Klong Klu waterfalls. It was a 600 m easy hike up there and it was really beautiful and - water was nice and cold to swim in after the hike. There were a lot of butterflies and the blue ones fell in love with my sandals because they had the same colour. We spent some time there swimming and relaxing and then we moved on.




Then we went north - in the mountains my sister and I had a small crash because our bike wouldn't brake properly. Luckily we drove very slow and I somehow jumped off but my sister got some small scratches. It happened once again after but this time it was very slowly and nothing happened, there are a lot of mountains and loose gravel so it is important oto drive carefully and make sure you get a bike that works!

We decided to go back and got some different things for my sister at the pharmacy. Then we went to the beach and fixed her wounds and after we went back and took a shower. After the shower we returned the scooter and she only had to pay 300 bath for the scratches on the scooter since they could see the brakes were not working that well. We had some dinner and had a beer at a bar where there were a fireshow on the street.

We got up around 9 and when we went down to eat breakfast our fathers friend Claus had arrived. He got a bungalow for 100 bath more and then it was with ocean view and without drunk finnish people. We went to the beach and lelaxed with the leggae all day - yes that is how they pronounce it around here. In the evening we went in to town for dinner and later Maria and I went for a free bucket at Himmel bar. We talked to a Swedish guy who owned the place with another guy and a Turkish guy no one could guess where was from, later Claus joined us, he had been at another bar next to this one. Our new friends were always travelling around Asia in wintertime - it's nice to meet people with good tips.

Next day we woke up around 10 and had some breakfast. After that we went to the beach and relaxed all day. For dinner we went to Bang Bao beach and walked to the pier. After that we went up to check out a big market/tivoli at the main road. We had some dinner and went back to lonely beach. We had a drink at Himmel Bar and then went back to sleep.

Christmas day! Got up at 8:30 and had breakfast. After breakfast we went to Himmel bar to meet up with Andreas who had said he could take us to the zip-line at tree top something something where he used to work and get us a nice discount. We rented some bikes and went there. Mom went to the beach while we were in the jungle. We started on a smaller lane where we had to do some more climbing than on the big one - but it was good for practice.

It was really funny and as always Claus was out of control and managed to find his own ways of climbing, scratching his leg while trying to film my father and taking a zip line bike without really sitting on it. After zip-line we went for lunch at I do I do which our friend from BKK had recommended. It was a nice quiet place with good food.




My father and I continued to the next city to exchange money and he needed to buy some malaria pills. After this we couldn't lock up the bike and he had to pay a local mechanic 100 bath for helping us. We had a quick swim before going to the showers.

We had our Christmas dinner at guitar house where we had already been eating three times before. BBQ chicken and red snapper. Even though the power stopped working TWICE it was very nice and the food was great. We went to Himmel bar where Andreas was already very drunk, but he insisted on drinking more and more snaps - he even had an emergency snaps in his pocket just in case. We went to the beach after where the biggest party was and Claus got too drunk so my parents took him home - grown ups eh! Maria and I stayed a bit longer and were home around 5 in the morning. All in all a very funny and untraditional christmas party but definitely 10/10.

Next "morning" - we woke up late and had breakfast. Claus couldn't talk so he must have been hungover - that rarely happens. We spent what was left of the day relaxing at the beach. There were still some people drinking so I am guessing they never went to bed. Me and my father tried snorkelling, it was okay but nothing special.




We had dinner at Guitar house again, I am gonna miss their BBQ chicken. We went to Himmel Bar to mock Andrea who had been the most drunk santa I had ever seen the day before. We went back and had to say goodbye to Claus and my father since they had to leave the next morning very early - they were continuing on to Cambodia on bikes.

We slept until Claus was outside our bungalows at 5:40 waking my dad up. But my dad decided to sleep a little more and meet him by the ferry later. We woke up around 10 and had some breakfast. Then we went to the beach where I finally had a chance to study for my exams without any drunk people and loud music around me.

We relaxed almost all day and we also went to the elephant camp with Zlatan (our new Turkish friend) to make reservations for the next day. Then we had dinner and went for some massage. It had been a very quiet day so we went to Himmel Bar where mom left after one drink and we stayed and had some drinks with Andreas.

Next day was our last day on Koh Chang - We got up at 9:30 and had breakfast and got ready to go to the elephant camp - while we waited for Zlatan to pick us up - we also met Andrea who was going fishing. When we arrived at the camp there were no elephants and they told us that we could go at 15 even though we told them the day before that we would come at 11.




We decided to ask at some other places and we found someone who could take us straight away. It was much better this time, no trekking only swimming and the area was better. Zlatan got the old slow elephant and we got thrown around in the water. We went back to the beach for the rest of the day. In the evening we went to Guitar House and had our last BBQ chicken - then we went to Himmel bar for the last time and it was a loooot of fun! Said goodbye to everyone before going to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb