Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Melville
Blogs from Melville
Latest Blogs from Melville
- August 26th 2011 My first travel Blog Entry
by Words: 7 Photos: 0
- March 11th 2011 To be continued...
by Words: 1018 Photos: 11
- February 26th 2011 Tjapukai / Wwoof #5
by Words: 1075 Photos: 8
- October 16th 2010 50 countries before I'm 30...
by Words: 168 Photos: 0
- October 16th 2010 African Drums
by Words: 416 Photos: 0
- August 18th 2010 We've Arrived!
by Words: 268 Photos: 25
- August 28th 2008 Holys arrival to Fremantle
by Words: 404 Photos: 5
- August 8th 2008 Back to Perth
by Words: 659 Photos: 20
- August 3rd 2008 Perth
by Words: 937 Photos: 16
- June 30th 2008 Long Overdue!
by Words: 4963 Photos: 34
- May 23rd 2008 A rocky week
by Words: 1009 Photos: 14
- January 31st 2008 Perth Jan 2008
by Words: 221 Photos: 7
- September 10th 2007 Wireless Hill walkabout
by Words: 40 Photos: 6