Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Gladstone
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Gladstone
Latest Blogs from Gladstone
- October 21st 2012 Lake Awoonga
by Words: 56 Photos: 8
- June 19th 2012 Tannum Sands & Gladstone
by Words: 1215 Photos: 4
- December 13th 2011 Are you ever 'ready' to depart for 18 months on the road ... ?
by Words: 528 Photos: 2
- May 24th 2011 Packed and ready ....
by Words: 345 Photos: 2
- May 2nd 2011 Dreaming of places far far away ....
by Words: 315 Photos: 1
- March 21st 2011 Roadtrip die 2te
by Words: 1592 Photos: 1
- August 11th 2010 Gladstone
by Words: 122 Photos: 3
- August 3rd 2010 At Gladstone with whale tails from Hervey Bay!
by Words: 371 Photos: 20
- October 18th 2009 Preparing for our trip!
by Words: 340 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2009 the eagle has landed
by Words: 158 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2009 Mid Semester Break Part 1- Heron Island 4/9-4/14
by Words: 8076 Photos: 69
- March 6th 2009 another 'vacation', this time in Gladstone
by Words: 312 Photos: 0
- February 5th 2009 Wetter and wetter
by Words: 936 Photos: 13
- January 29th 2009 Time for some luxury on the Great Barrier Reef
by Words: 2643 Photos: 31
- February 14th 2008 13th February 2008
by Words: 619 Photos: 12
- October 30th 2007 Day 76 Gladstone
by Words: 44 Photos: 3
- October 29th 2007 Day 75 Gladstone
by Words: 48 Photos: 4
- October 1st 2007 Home Sweet Home
by Words: 270 Photos: 4
- July 9th 2007 Lets attack "The Narrows"
by Words: 463 Photos: 3
- July 4th 2007 Gladstone
by Words: 278 Photos: 2