Heron Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gladstone
November 29th 2015
Published: November 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our last trip to the reef before we leave....

One of our favourite family activities is snorkelling. It is also one of the holiday activities we will miss the most when we move down to Melbourne. There is nothing better than swimming amongst the fish at the bottom of the reef looking at the many varied colours and textures of the natural beauty around us.



There is an island at the end of the Great Barrier Reef which is a 2 hour boat trip away from our hometown here in Gladstone, Queensland. Heron Island is a place we have often dreamt of visiting ever since we first moved here 14 years ago. However, there was always something else on each year and we just haven't found the time to go. So, since we are moving down to chilly Melbourne, my husband decided to surprise me with a trip for my birthday which was a few weeks ago. I've been quite busy and preoccupied with getting our house ready to sell, that this weekend away has come at a great time to unwind and spend some quality time with my family.



What a gorgeous piece of paradise we walked onto. We arrived at sunset, so the feeling was perfect right from the start. Upon arrival, we had to gather in the communal area to have a welcome chat about what you are and aren't allowed to do on the island (since it is a natural coral cay) as well as what activities are on offer whilst we were staying there. This was further enhanced by the 'welcome mocktail' we all received, which my daughter was a big fan.



Dinner is already booked for you on the first night, so it wasn't long between arriving and having to be at dinner, so we went for a walk on the beach to view the gorgeous sunset and have a quick look around before dinner. An al a carte menu was on tonight and the meals were to die for, as were the desserts.



The following morning, we were greeted by some birds outside our window (not too noisy) and we went down to the restaurant for our complimentary buffet breakfast. So many choices were to be consumed. A big day of snorkelling was following breakfast, so we had to make sure we had enough to fill our bellies.



The snorkelling was lovely. To the left of the jetty there is plenty of coral to snorkel above and the further out you swim the more fish you can see. Further up the beach we saw many sting rays and a hammerhead shark lying on the ocean floor. If it wasn't for their eyes watching you, you would mistake them for a rock instead. The sting rays and sharks are quite friendly here and you can swim near them and they don't get bothered by you.



The food is great, top quality. Lunch is served either at the restaurant or the bar. The bar offers pizza and snacks at other times when the restaurant isn't operating. A seafood buffet for dinner the following night is always nice to have after a day out on the water. Plenty of seafood and roasts, vegetables and salads and who could forget the dessert bar again.



We were to leave the following day and after some advice from one of the activities guys, we woke up at the crack of dawn and went out for a final snorkel. If you snorkel under the jetty at about 6:00 in the morning, you see an aquarium of fish swimming around you. Our expectations were met and we loved seeing larger fish than the day before and plenty more schools of fish as well.



Our departure was at 10:00am. It was a shame to leave such a beautiful place, however home was calling - we had an open house to get ready for!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb