Bury Saint Edmunds
Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Bury Saint Edmunds
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bury Saint Edmunds
Latest Blogs from Bury Saint Edmunds
- March 19th 2013 Oh, this is what they mean by "it's a long winter in England!"
by Words: 282 Photos: 8
- November 2nd 2012 An English Autumn Birthday
by Words: 440 Photos: 7
- September 9th 2012 New Home Sweet Home
by Words: 667 Photos: 20
- August 16th 2012 Exploring my New Town
by Words: 365 Photos: 12
- August 1st 2011 Sightseeing in East England 0f 2011
by Words: 1066 Photos: 5
- May 7th 2011 Flying Solo.
by Words: 1105 Photos: 0
- December 1st 2010 St Edmundsbury Cathedral
by Words: 453 Photos: 2
- December 7th 2009 Thanksgiving break
by Words: 807 Photos: 16
- November 14th 2009 Its funny now
by Words: 278 Photos: 0
- October 11th 2009 'Ello from across the pond!
by Words: 993 Photos: 7
- September 11th 2009 Crazy day
by Words: 607 Photos: 0
- September 5th 2009 Travel Time
by Words: 498 Photos: 5
- September 2nd 2009 1st week
by Words: 497 Photos: 0
- June 10th 2009 United at last!
by Words: 137 Photos: 1
- April 17th 2009 Bury Saint Edmunds
by Words: 728 Photos: 21
- February 15th 2009 DJ's last entry - better late...?
by Words: 899 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2009 Mark's last entries
by Words: 239 Photos: 0
- January 15th 2009 Where we've been (not including Rarotonga)
by Words: 22 Photos: 0
- January 14th 2009 Back in the UK
by Words: 265 Photos: 0
- December 1st 2008 Where we've been so far
by Words: 24 Photos: 0