Flying Solo.


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

My time in Sydney was drawing to a close and for once we had seen everything we had planned. It was the 3rd May, leaving me a couple more days in the beautiful city. Oli, Alex and Zach had managed to seal a free meal and washing machine at Oli's cousin, a massive help with three weeks still to go. I was due home in a few days and like to keep Mum busy so I decided to spend a day on my own in Sydney and planned to meet up with a distant relation for dinner. I spent most of the day shopping and generally exploring areas we had not. However, I let time get the better of me and suddenly realised I needed to get back to the hostel and get ready for my meal. I resorted to using the tube service as it was a 20 minute walk to the hostel. To get to my families home, I had to take a ferry from Sydney Harbour, to Cremorne Point. The ferry left at 18:05 and every station I we stopped at was bringing me closer to missing my boat. I pushed my way through the rush hour crowds and ran to the ferry terminal, hurrying the cashier for my ticket. Thankfully I managed to get on in Indiana Jones style and made the journey across the harbour to Cremorne. The ferry service was hugely efficient and well run. As the business people of Sydney sat on the ferry with their heads buried in the Financial Times, I was snapping photos as we glided past the Opera House to our right (or Starboard if we want to be technical) and to our left (Port) was the Harbour Bridge. Above us, flew hundreds of huge fruit bats who had begun their nightly hunt for food. With Australia now deep into Autumn, the sun was setting in the distance and the red sky made for an amazing sight. We headed over to Cremorne were I directed myself to the house. I took the path along the see front as instructed, with the iconic landmarks all sitting in front of me. The area was full of modern housing with breathtaking views and I wondered who lived in such a place. The directions led me to believe that I would be dining in one of these beautiful homes and I ws not disappointed. I met Sue (Dad's cousin), her daughter and husband and we enjoyed a catchup on each others whole lives which was very interesting. We then moved to the dinner table where our view out of the patio doors was the Sydney skyline, Harbour Bridge and Opera House. As you would expect, Sue and her family were completely accustomed to there surrounding and completely used to seeing the same view everyday! We had a great evening and I was lucky enough to be given an entrance card to the Qantas Gold fliers lounge which only meant one thing. Free internet, free food and free beer! It was a great gift and summed up the generosity I received from people who went from strangers to family in a few hours!

The next day, myself, Zach, Oli and Alex went for a final look at the Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Royal Botanic Gardens. You would have thought, after seeing the two world famous sights most days it would get boring. Not so. I think it would take a good few years for me to grow tired of that Harbour and it is etched into my memory forever. The day was really a prelude to my final night. I bought all of the boys a steak each to cook and we had a dinner fit for a king, a nice change from pasta! I then went and showered and I returned to find a bottle of Chardonnay as a gift from the lads. A real treat and they looked on with envious eyes as they began drinking boxed wine! We had a really good night as you would expect in such an amazing city.

The morning of my departure had arrived. I woke around 6am with a severe headache and certainly was not up for lugging a 20kg bag around Sydney then enduring a 20 hour flight. However, needs must and after managing to find something I could stomach, I was escorted to the train station where I said goodbye to Zach and Oli (Alex was ill inbed!). It is strange saying goodbye to people who you have spent everyday with for two months. We waved farewell, I put my headphones in to drown out the city noises and began my 12000 mile journey home. Thankfully, my journey was given an unusual burst of luxury in the business class lounge where I mingled with my superiors and future bosses. I sampled the free food on my best behaviour and even though I was hungover, I forced a bottle of Heineken. I could not live with myself knowing I had passed up an opportunity of free beer! I then moved onto my plane where I flew to Bangkok.

After not sleeping at all in a scheme to cheat jetlagged, my eyes where blood shot and I was in desperate need of sleep. We stopped for an hour in Bangkok and after re boarding, slept for 4 hours as planned. I manged to watch 6 films before flying over the stunning British countryside. After grabbing my bag, I headed to the arrivals exit where my Mum was standing waiting for me, perfectly on time as expected! After exchanging the usual hugs and hellos it was straight to the cafe for an English cup of tea. Thank you Mum for leaving home at 4am to come and pick me up! We returned home where the fight against jet lag began...right after I went for a lengthy drive.

Its a week on now, I didn't suffer any jet lag after a 13 hour sleep on Friday night. I have seen all the usual suspects in Bury St. Edmunds and am restarting work tomorrow.

It's hard to believe that 2 months ago I was in Bangkok and just beginning my adventure. I have seen so much, things I never thought I would. The trip has been amazing and the lads I did it with will no doubt share the same fond memories as they move onto the USA for one more month. I wish them luck and know they will have a great time. Thank you for reading and I'll see you all very soon I'm sure. For the last time...

Love Jonathon


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb