hi, im going to spend 6 months in south america and im looking for some backpack advice.
first off. i do not need a tent or big hiking boots.
i have saught opinions from friends who have travelled around, some say they wished they had wheeled backpacks
and some say that i would be better off if i could bring the bag on the bus so as to avoid having to fret about it being stolen.
i guess my ideal pack would be a wheeled backpack pack with a zip off daypack (with front hanging option)
and the one that seems to fit the bill is the berghaus Jalan 70 - 15, and i have one and i am packing about max 65 litres into it just for trial. maybe i will take away some of this when i actually go.
pros of jalan 70-15:
- its nice and roomy, for expansion if necessary (visiting southern chile eventually)
- feels good on my back. balanced nicely. though i have not tried many other bags.
the daypack is very basic, not many pockets in it, if it gets slashed , the stuff might fall out too easy.
i think in an ideal world , i would get a wheeled maybe 65 litre with a 25l (and better) daypack but i have never seen a good one like that. (bar the "astro travel pack" which sadly is not available in europe i think. oh and doesnt have wheels)
anyway, so far i think i will stick with the berghaus but i have some questions for anyone who might know.
- can the (underpacked) Jalan 70-15 be carried onto the kind of bus im likely to encounter in south america?
- is it worth bringing a wheeled backpack to south america at all, or a waste of time?
- would i be much better off with a smaller one? say.. berghaus jalan 65-15..