Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
December 14th 2014
Published: December 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Otavalo - Day 21



We made it to Otavalo today! We took the taxi from Mindo back up to the highway. It was a nice sunny day, no rain. We took the San Perdito bus to the Carcalen bus station in Quito ($2.50 each). The trip took about two hours. A man came on the bus selling ice cream. He had a soft cooler bag, but don't see how it didn't melt. But I hear that some of the treats that look like ice cream are really frosting. The bus did some S and hairpin curves as we went up in elevation to Quito.



Our problem was that we wanted to go from Mindo to Otavalo. There is no bus that goes that way. You have to go back to Quito and start over again. Another problem is that Mindo and Otavalo are serviced by two different bus companies using two different bus stations (Ofalia and Carcalen). If we took the bus from within Mindo, we would end up in Ofalia, then have to get to Carcalen. By going up to the highway, we could avoid the Ofalia to Carcalen trek.



When we arrived at the bus station, the bus to Otavalo was ready to go ($2.50 each). We have had such good luck with our connections. We were in Otavalo in two hours. About an hour north of Quito we got a good view and a photo of Cotopaxi. We later passed beautiful Laguna San Pedro, with its deep blue water.



Once in Otavalo we took a taxi to our reserved hostel, Hostal El Geranio on Recuarte Street. We were welcomed by two very large, friendly and furry sheepdogs. From the outside, with its cement wall and locked gate, it didn't look very unique. But once inside, it was full of flowering plants and patio areas. It was a convenient location, just a few blocks from the market. Once settled, we headed to the market. The area was huge, with row after row of items. Lots of jewelry, sweaters, ponchos, blankets, wood items, Panama hats, ceramics. Heavy kids hats with animal faces were popular. The market expands to the outlying streets on Saturday, with animal sales in the morning. I'm glad we hit it on Sunday, the market was overwhelming enough! We did a little looking, a little bargaining, and came away with a few treasures. After our shopping, and Bob does love to shop (not!), we found a spot for lunch.



Later we checked our map and walked down to the river. It was pretty dry, just a trickle. On the way back we walked through the locals' market street, then stopped for an ice cream.



Lots of travel, two cabs and two buses. But just part of the adventure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb