Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mindo
December 13th 2014
Published: December 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mindo - Day 20



This hostel is so quiet. We heard only the birds and the falling rain this morning. It rained heavily during the night and early morning, but this is the rainy season here. The rain stopped midmorning and left the air really fresh. We decided to have an easy day and walked one of the town streets past town and past the river. Lots of noisy roosters and chickens as we got to the outskirts of Mindo. The dogs lay in the middle of the street until a car comes, then they may slowly move out of the way. Lots of potholes. We crossed the bridge for Rio Mindo. Many rapids along the river. A few houses high up on the side of the road looked like they might tumble down with the next rain. There was jungle-like vegetation along the road, ferns and huge broadleaf plants. Along the road we also saw many beautiful flowers, resembling roses, marigolds, and azaleas.



Our map showed that the road crossed another river. But our map was not to scale. We walked and walked, but since this was turning out to be a 1.5 hour hike, we decided to turn around. On the way back, we noticed a man coming out of his drive with a wheelbarrow and big bag full of something. We thought he might be taking green oranges to town to sell. We saw a few trees in his yard. We have tried green oranges and they are actually very good, although the name sounds like an oxymoron.



Coming back into town, we saw lots of activity around the stadium. (The stadium wall is painted with many kinds of birds.) We thought there might be a soccer game going on so we peeked inside. It turned out to be some kind of dance marathon. A few couples were left, and the idea was to keep dancing while holding a ball between their foreheads.After our walk we treated ourselves to mango and nanajillo (sour orange) batidos at El Cheff. Yum!



It cools off quickly in the evening here. We did our usual fruit and roll run, then had a good fish dinner at El Cheff. Tomorrow we leave for Otovolo. It will be a challenge to get there, as it is one of those "can't get there from here" scenarios.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb