week numero uno


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
October 13th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hello loved ones
I'm writing to you from the spunky Che Pampas hostel in the colonial city of Rosario, Argentina. And my what a lovely city it is. Buenos Aires seemed a bit crazy; sidewalks were narrow, people were bustling, buses whizzed by too close for comfort, but Rosario is a little more relaxed and we are definately enjoying ourselves. However a visit to the cementary in the middle of Buenos Aires was amazing. The cemetary is fillled with politicians, teachers, rich folk and the actress DeVita (don´t cry for me argentina.) My favorite were the graves that had been neglected and were covered with vines. It was strange because you could see into the basements where the rest of the familys were meant to lay. Mind you, these were more like marble houses for the dead, not the headstone you might be picturing. Days here are filled with Spanish school in the morning and meandering around amongst the well dressed Argentines and ubitiquous street dogs, stopping to eat and explore, fills the rest of the day. On our first day we went to the beach along Rio Paraña, I was afraid to swim because of the namesake but it turns out there are no pirahñas. Both of us have been spoiled by the beaches of Oregon, Alaska and Hawaii so weren't too enchanted with this crowded, garabage riddled one; however Thor enjoyed the women's choice in swimwear... thongs! From there we went on a motorboat across the river (it´s quite wide) to Isla Invernada where we set up our tent and watched fireflies and stars emerge as the darkness crept up and the pampas (wetlands) came alive. It was this incedible symphony of frogs and birds and bats and bugs and who knows what else... that was probably my favorite moment so far. There was some other kind of insect that has left us with hundreds of extremely itchy bites that are still bugging us. We look like we have small pox.
Food here is excellent and has a culture of it's own. It seems that the country runs on steak, pizza and pasta, all of which is just fine by us! Water is safe to drink and we don´t really have to worry too much about what we are putting in our mouths.
We will finish the week here and perhaps stay another week, continuing on with school, then plan to head south to the mountains for trekking and camping and nature. City life is an adaptation for both of us and as beautiful as it is we are eager to get into the great outdoors. Summer is approaching and this year is, luckily, la niña, which means little rain.
Tonight we plan to salsa dance with our friend Jesus and other Irish friends. Hostel life is cool in that way, you get exposed to people from all over and they have their own backgrounds and opinions... and accents! Friends are made fast because travelling is an instant connection and topic to discuss.
Well, friends and family, thank you for your kind thoughts and taking the time to read this. I'm grateful for you all. The trip is just beginning and I am in high spirits, ready for whatever will come my way. If anyone knows anyone down here in South America or has travelled before, please hook it up with some knowledge. Love you all and I wish health and joy for you. Paz..... Marin




Advertisement



15th October 2010

:)
Hi Marin. Good to see u r back on the road again. All the best for u :)
21st October 2010

Marin...what a great adventure itchy bugs and all! Enjoy leaving positive footprints wherever your journey takes you...
10th November 2010

SALSA DANCING
with an Irishman!! How intriguing. Still enjoying your time down there I see, itches and all. Looked up your 'project' name to find that there are treks you can make with them all over the place, even Canada. You should do Canada next!!
15th November 2010

HELLO NUMERO TWO-O
So good to read more about you. I can hardly imagine an Irishman in his kilt dancing the salsa, but I bet it would be interesting to see!! Sounds like you are having an interesting and great time. I looked up your project after your mom told me about it, and find that you can "do" canada also....that should be your next location!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb