la sur


Advertisement
South America
October 22nd 2010
Published: October 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


hello all
this is the last day in the city of rosario and tomorrow we take a bus to bahia blanca for ocean and surf and a nearby national park in the mountains, we are very excited to see more of the real south america.
rosario has been filled with sunshine, school and lots of walking through the city. one day was spent walking to a che guevara memorial in a park. the statue was unique in that it was made from bronze keys donated by the citizens of rosario. the keys were melted and formed into a very large che, but some didn't totally melt and you can see and feel the old skeleton keys. there we watched the sunset and people practicing aerial/ tissue acrobatics (the kind where there are long silk scarf-esque objects hanging and all sort of cool twists and turns ensue.) now, thor and i both want to look into circus classes. so far we are playing hacky-sac and i'm slowly and awkwardly learning how to juggle.
another day was dedicated to exploring parque independencia where we rented a foot paddle boat (dont know what it´s called in english) and explored the man made pond. not much to report about that except for the turtles, which i am a huge fan of, and some pretty decent sized ducks. also in the park is a horse track, we hoped to see races and try our hands at making bets but there were no races that day. but a hole in the gate allowed us to get in across the track and walk over to the stables where we actually got to pet the ponies... so pretty!
one other point of interest was a tour of a hundred plus year old theater we went on. the theather, was originally built by italian immigrants who missed the theatres from the home land. the original owner passed it on to his children, who had moved back to europe, and they wanted to sell the land which would have resulted in the theater being demolished. so a group of citizens reached into their pockets and bought the theater and have been preserving and maintaining it since then. they decided to purchase the theater in a meeting, supposedly conducted in a circle around a table. the theater was renamed by its new, cooperative owners El Circulo (the circle.) quite a nice story, i think. but the architecture and paintings are absolutely amazing and i will post pictures as soon as technology allows.
spanish has gone pretty well although argentine spanish a.k.a. castellano is more difficult than the spanish i learned in ecuador. this is more accentuated and dramatic. step by step, we are improving.
our time here has been pretty tranquilo, mellow. we have enjoyed doing as the argentines do and taking naps in the heat of the day. empanadas are a delicious snack here, meat or vegetables steamed in a little dough pocket. the argentines know how to eat, party, gossip and just hang out... not too bad.
tomorrow we leave this place, say goodbye to new friends and enter into a new unknown, this one on the atlantic coast! i hear there is snow in alaska so all of you up there stay warm. health and joy to everyone. thankyou for kind thoughts.
thinking of you all
love, marin

Advertisement



25th October 2010

Thank you for sharing your trip with us, Marin. It is fun to hear about your journey. love, Aunt Judy
26th October 2010

morning sunshine
Good morning honey..I am missing you this day but yet I know that your adventure is so valuable for you. Did you survive the bus ride? I am reminded of our bus trip in Mexico complete with chickens! I can imagine your trip was even more rural. I watched a show about Anarctia- are you headed there? Reminded me of Homer. HOpe you and Thor are both well and enjoying what adventure unfolds each day. Hope the red wine is delicious and the beach inviting, water warm. 5 here this am but clear and the mts are beautiful. Kitties send their love and licks. I love you momma

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb