South America 2023: La Boca, Buenos Aires, Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 4th 2023
Published: November 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Soccer, Tango and Vibrant Street Culture

On our first four days in Buenos Aires we laid pretty low. The twenty five hour flight left us jet lagged and in need of rest, as the pre trip preparations had us exhausted even before we departed. But on day five we began our explorations. And this city is so beautiful, the people so kind and accommodating, and the culture and history so rich, that we soon compiled a long list of things to do while here, and immediately started the process of checking the boxes.

Our first venture out of the apartment and into the big city of two million plus was to La Boca, an area of the city known for its large and colorful murals, tango street culture, and most significantly, its being home to one of Argentina's two major soccer leagues, the Boca Juniors. Our first day to step out and begin our adventures happened to be a Saturday. So we set out, me attempting to learn which bus to take to get there, which was a daunting experience with my basic Spanish in an environment where few speak English. Then en route we learn from fellow passengers that there's a soccer match in La Boca that same day, and it will be very busy. We are also told to watch our phones closely, to be careful, and wished good luck by a few people we meet on the bus. Boca is described in the tourist guides as a culturally rich, must see place to visit during the day, but a bit sketchy at night, so it was with some trepidation that we continued our journey to take on the crowds.

What a good adventure it turned out to be! The energy was flowing: the streets were full of people, many wearing their blue and white soccer shirts to show their team support. Every once in a while there would be a loud bang followed by crowd cheering to generate excitement for the game. There were also sidewalk cafes, great opportunities to people watch, and street performers, including tango dancers. It was alive with energy and a great initial excursion, so it made perfect sense to capture some of that energy with a tango photo opportunity featuring Stan and I, inviting us to indulge in the tango of Buenos Aires.

Next, we venture to La Selma, the true heart of tango, where it originated.

Thank you for your interest in our travels and philosophical musings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement




Regina in ArgentinaRegina in Argentina
Regina in Argentina

Regina is somewhat of a celebrated name here, as it appears on a variety of shops. Not yet discovered its significance here, but to us it signifies home town and brought a smile to our lips.


12th November 2023
Regina in Argentina

Beautiful!
I’m so happy for the two of you. What a great city, hey? And the colour?!!! Much love to you. 🥰
12th November 2023

Looks like fun
So glad you two are having such fun. Enjoy!
12th November 2023

Wow!
Bev & Stan - you two are troopers! What an adventure! Have a wodnerful time and we look forward to hearing all about it when we meet again on Koh Phangan! PS - don't forget to tell us when you are going to arrive and we will aahve you two over for a wonderful meal! Hugs and much Luv!
22nd November 2023

Wow!
Hello Bruce and Pat! South America is a whole new experience from Koh Phangan, but beautiful in its own very many ways. Its nice to have you traveling along with us. We look forward to seeing you in Thailand in the New Year and will definitely be in touch once we arrive. Safe travels as you head eastward soon. 🙏

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb