Horrible Road and a Beautiful Walk


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Wanaka
February 19th 2005
Published: February 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Rob Roy GlacierRob Roy GlacierRob Roy Glacier

That's the reward at the end of the walk
We were warned before that the road leading to Rob Roy track is terrible. I knew I had to cross some creeks with the car... and that the unsealed road is bumpy.
Well the creeks were not too bad (in the first I felt I am driving an amphebian car, but I got used to it). However the 32 km of this road were bone breaking. I started out driving 20 km/h so I don't break the car, but then I understood that you feel much less the bumps ("coulisses - is that a word in English???) if you go 80 km/h. The noise of the stones hitting the car was horrible though :-) I drove and prayed that everything will be ok :-)

Anyway, it was worth it because it lead to a most beautiful track called Rob Roy valley. You walk up the gorge of a river that comes from a glacier, you walk in a beautiful beech forest, and then you get to a point of wonderful view on the glacier itself. Of course, the glacier is "leaking" - water coming down all over (one the other side, don't worry), but the most amazing was the "disappearing waterfall" - the water falls from a high point but due to the strong wind it simply "flies" in the air, and only a small portion gets down. Amazing. I took maybe 15 pictures of it (well I kept only the good ones).

After coming back, affected by the other travellers, we cooked our first "real" dinner: Shiri made great Spaghetti Bolognese. We also bought some beef steak for tomorrow! And of course, since a few days we have wine in every dinner. I will come back a specialist on inexpensive Australian wine :-)


Advertisement



20th February 2005

what's this "comments awaiting preview" shit! Why can't people put in whatever they want, what's this censorship! - Daph
21st February 2005

To read and to see
Anat, Great to sse this beauty through your words Does the journal format allow you to add photos? Could be great Keep having the time of your life Tal
23rd February 2005

To Daph
If you sign in to this site you can add non-censored comments :-)
26th February 2005

what is an uncensored comment. who censores the comments - michael
27th February 2005

To Dad
The way this web site works, I need to review and accept comments before they are published. I never rejected any, but I could. However, if you open an account in the website and login as a user, not just a guest, your comments are published automatically. I don't think it worth to bother, but it's possible...

Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb