Crossing Haast Pass to Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Central Otago » Wanaka
February 18th 2005
Published: February 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post


We meant to wake up really early to go to a lake called Lake Matheson, where you are supposed to see reflections of Mount Cook in the water and it's beautiful in sunrise or right after.
But the night before we met some nice people in the backpacker and we chatted too long...
So we still went the all way around the fanmous TINY lake and the views of the high mountains were suberb but the reflections were really poor. No fight to the beauty I saw in Norway on the way to the glacier there, and right from the road... Shai if you find the picture and can send me a copy I will put it here for comparison :-)

Then I drove all the long way to Wanaka, during which we stopped in maybe 5 places for short walks, from 5 minutes to half hour, to beautiful waterfalls, some blue ponds and other nice things (pictures will come next time they have USB ports). Before Haast Pass, still in the westland, the forest is impressive even if you walk 2 minutes from the road. You can really imagine the legendary forests.
In the best walk we crossed a swing bridge!!! In the first time I was mummbing "mummy mummy" all the time, I was scared, but on the way back it was already fun. Amusement park for free!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The Swing BridgeThe Swing Bridge
The Swing Bridge

Not so scary after you've done it a few times!


20th February 2005

You have certainly been to too many places
What's a swing bridge? - daph
24th February 2005

Swing bridge
Now there's a picture I hope you got the answer. It's hanging and it's swinging when you cross it...

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb