Day # 38


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
July 16th 2015
Published: July 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

135 kms travelled today. Left Tinopai after a morning wander, with a stop at Tokatoka to walk the Tokatoka Peak track. Alarm bells should have rung when there was a warning sign about it been a very slippery and dangerous walking track. After a night of rain it was probably not our brightest idea to attempt this track (for a start it’s a climb not a walk if you have short legs!). After going the first 5 metres and slipping backwards with muddy shoes I had resigned myself to coming down on my ass on the way home. Made it to the top on all fours and were rewarded with spectacular views over bush, farmland and the Wairoa River. Lance kinda had a look but was really too busy hanging onto the pole just in case he plunged to his death. Not a lot of room at the top (perhaps 3m x 3m flat rock to stand on). This would definitely fail OSH requirements. Managed to climb down very slowly, grabbing trees and cutty grass and virtually anything that was fixed to slow our momentum down. My recommendation is do this track but wait till summer and it is dryJ.

Pouto (North Head of Kaipara Harbour) is a final destination today. It’s a bit of a drive out, with a nice wide gravel road for the last 23kms. What an awesome spot. We are parked up on a cliff with magnificent views over the water. We went for a big walk on the beach later this afternoon. This beach is the longest drivable beach in NZ. It stretches 101 km from Maunganui Bluff in the North to Pouto at the entrance to the Kaipara Harbour. (No before you ask the Motorhome is not heading up the beach anytime soon). This afternoon there were lots of baby seals frolicking in the water or just napping on the beach. They didn’t seem too concerned about us wandering around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb