Day # 39


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
July 17th 2015
Published: July 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Holding up the fire, lighting up the sky, like a lighthouse……. (This one is for you Matty J, thought you would appreciate a bit of Ziggy Marley).

So we had to wait for the tide today to allow us to bike to the Kaipara North Head Lighthouse. Just as well we biked and not walked as we would have needed a torch to get back. A lovely bike ride into a head wind (not!), I will confess I am not bike fit and the occasional sinking issue as we rode along the beach was a little annoying for us less experienced bikers. Just as well the scenery made up for it. After arriving at the bottom of the sand dunes to the lighthouse, I managed to dismount with shaky legs then start the steep climb up the sand dunes to the top, stopping occasionally to take photos (or my breath!). OMG can’t explain just look at the pictures. This place is AWESOME. The constantly changing sandbanks and shoals on the bar caused many strandings and shipwrecks. So in 1884 this lighthouse was built obviously in response to the ships and lives lost here. Hence they call the fishing area around here as The Graveyard. A popular fishing spot for fisherman surfcasting or fishing by boat. A few photos then a quick bit of moonwalking back down to collect our bikes. No tail wind ride home but oh so peaceful.

Back at camp a quick fish on dark, but sadly no keepers, what a beautiful evening to end another awesome day


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 80; dbt: 0.135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb