Day # 40


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
July 18th 2015
Published: July 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

100km winds forecasted! With the driving rain and wind starting to build we decided to bail from the cliff top at Pouto. Lance took a hammering trying to secure bikes etc on the back of the motorhome. It was good entertainment as I cranked up the heater and watched. The only locals in Poutu are a lovely couple who run the small camp, they suggested Kellys Bay as a good sheltered spot. So this is where we have ended up.

A break in the weather for a couple of hours and some sunshine allowed us to go for a walk. Kellys Bay is quite a shallow Bay and makes a good netting spot but with the weather forecast we will give it a miss this time.

Kellys Bay residents have a problem with Oystercatchers. Far too many (up to 2000 recently and last year about 4000). So they generally moult everywhere, crap everywhere and chirp constantly (a bit like the clicking clock that annoys the hell out of you). They have worked with the appropriate authorities and built an area down the Northern end of beach, so the birds can nest there instead of in front of the resident’s houses. The numbers dropped initially but they are on the increase again. Residents would like to see them culled to reduce numbers (Good luck with that one I say).

Fact of the day…….. In 40 days we have travelled 1697kms (avg 42kms per day).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb