Day # 41 & 42


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
July 21st 2015
Published: July 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

The rain squalls have been persistent, and we need a change of scenery to keep us out of trouble so opted to leave Kellys Bay and head 50kms North up to Glinks Gully. This is the wild side of the West Coast. We have been rewarded once again with a Room with a View at the Glinks Gully Motor Camp. The sea is huge (I can never seem to illustrate this in my photos sadly). Lance and I do what we normally do in this weather, cook up a storm, read books, play card games, take the mickey out of each other and have the camera and backpack ready in case the weather breaks. It did today and we managed to get an hour or two out walking later this afternoon. A few people out on motorbikes and trail bikes enjoying the Beach Road and Sand Dunes.

It’s been a rough night with high winds and squally showers. I ended up getting up and making a cuppa tea at 4am this morning! Went for a walk on the beach this morning and couldn’t believe the sand dunes that had washed away overnight. We had a quick scramble up a bank at one stage as a rogue wave powered up the beach and up the dunes. You can see how people get in trouble when the seas are so big. This afternoon we managed to get back down the beach for a big walk South to the stream then back up the bike track through the dunes. Hunkered down again here tonight, according to the weatherman it looks like the weather may settle over the next couple of days. I hope so I could do with some sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb