Day # 43 & 44


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Northland
July 22nd 2015
Published: July 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

I quite like Glinks Gully but after 2 nights of not much sleep (I was sure the Motorhome was going to tip over in the middle of the night) it was time to move on. 1ststop was Bayleys Beach this morning. Left the Motorhome at the top of the hill and walked down to the beach. It was not my cup of tea, and I'm not really sure why? Maybe had a claustrophobic feel. No escaping huge waves here as the cliffs were so high. Baches congested to a skinny gully. A bit of a hike up the steep hill then off to Dargaville to get mobile coverage and restock with supplies. Next stop was Omamari Beach, quiet little spot with only a few baches. A cute little place, with a nice West Coast Beach. Didn’t feel like walking through the stream and getting wet, so no walk on the beach here. Further North from here was the Kai Iwi Lakes. Beautiful place I can just imagine how overpopulated it is here in the summer though. Our final stop for the day is Trounson Kauri Park.



Had a wonderful sleep so up and off for a lovely walk around the Trounson Kauri Park. Information boards for identification of plants etc and a couple of electronic buttons you can push and listen to a storyteller giving you more insight into the Kauri trees etc. Packed up, then short drive to Aranga Beach and the Maunganui Bluff. What an amazing place…..love it. A quick coffee then from the bottom of Aranga Beach we headed up the track to Maunganui Bluff Summit (459 m). This track is very steep, uneven and narrow in parts. You really need dry conditions, decent shoes, no fear of heights and a reasonable level of fitness (I had a slight meltdown ¾’s of the way up due to fitness, Lance had a moment or two when he thought he was 6 inches from death due to height and lack of track!). Believe me it is well worth the effort and fears. Back down and a couple of slips onto our backsides in the red clay (Lance came off worse than I, but that’s what happens when you try to take a short cut lol). We are buggered, so refuel and head off to take a look at Tane Mahuta. I have been here as a child and yes this Kauri tree is impressive still. Over 2000 years old, the trunk height is 17.7m, Total height 51.5m, Trunk Girth 13.8m.



Final stop for the day is Opononi but not before we catch the sunset over Omapere and the Hokianga Harbour….………Stunning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb