Day # 20 & 21


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
June 29th 2015
Published: June 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Four Seasons in One Day...... well actually 4 seasons every day. Day 20 has seen us leave Long Bay after Lance had an early morning run and head to Arataki Visitor Centre in the Waitakere Ranges. One of the best Visitor Centres we have ever come across. Large decks surround this 2 storey building with the most amazing views of Waitakere ranges, Manukau Harbour, Nihotupu dam, and back over towards Auckland city. Staff here are very friendly and informative (like most of the NZ visitor centres we have visited). Had time to do the Nature walk and plant Identification track later in the day. Were once again the only campervan to stay at this Regional park for the night.

Today (Day 21) the day started with squally rain, so made a batch of scones while we waited for it to clear. Once domesticated duties were completed we headed off to do the Nihotupu Valley Circuit. This is a good workout track, some big climbs and some steep downhill sections. My favourite part of the track was from the Lookout down to pipeline track. Pretty track down Nihotupu valley with lots of Nikau Palms. It was fairly wet down this side so slow and steady was the way to go (no laundry in the motorhome!).

After scones with Guava jelly and cream😊 we headed to Cornwallis Wharf. This wharf is the last of the Manukau Harbours 16 Ferry wharfs. This has recently been restored by the community to its original design and length. Only one brave sole out fishing at the end of the Wharf today. You may just see him in the photo. Last stop for the night is back up the road at Cornwallis Beach Reserve. Just us and a young couple in a Juicy camper here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



30th June 2015
Arataki Visitor Centre - view from Beveridge track

Happy camping!
Hey you seem to be having a fantastic time! Good to see you're being consistent with the blog. We in a tiny village in UK where my brother lives. Surrounded by houses dating back to 1500s. There's a heat wave scorching us. You'd love it!!!! x

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb