Day # 22 & 23


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Headed off from Cornwallis park this morning (Day 22). Huia lookout was our first stop. Magnificent views across to Manukau Bar, Waitakere ranges and down to Huia. A lucky break with the weather allowed us a chance to get the camera out. Would be a nice place to sit in the summer with a glass of wine and a good book. Our next stop was Whatipu which is on the Northern entrance to the Manukau Heads. Oh my god! ..... I am surprised we survived the road as it was narrow with lots of overhanging trees and a steep drop if you happen to fall off the road. I generously put my Health and Safety Officer hat on and assisted Lance with some back seat driving😊. A much needed coffee to calm the nerves on arrival then off on a walk. Loved this place as it so isolated with only a sprinkling of very brave fisherman out on a windy wild day. Off again to brave the road and head to Piha, our last stop for the night. Stayed at Glen Esk Rd Regional park for the night, getting up early (for us) to do the Kitekite track up to the falls. Story goes....someone had a very bright idea to dam the top of the falls and float logs down river then undam and let them drop. It didn't work (The logs got smashed to pieces during the many stages of falling down the waterfall). On the way back we went down a well built stairway, getting to the bottom I had one of those great ideas that we should have counted them. So volunteered Lance to run back up and count them for me. You may ask why....well 1. I thought it could make for an interesting fact 2. It was a free enjoyable activity for me to watch 3. Lance is so much better in the Motorhome if he has been exercised😊.....and there were 245 steps!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb