Day # 23....& 24


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waitakere
July 2nd 2015
Published: July 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

We are sooo confused we have crammed so much into our days its all become a blur. We have purchased a chalk board to record the day and date because we really have no idea as each day runs into the other. After our previous blog we carried on our exploration around Piha. OMG Lion Rock is awesome. If you are not scared of the dodgy path up to lookout I suggest this is a must do for all. I managed to con Lance into posing for a photo albeit a height fear apparently only a metre from death. I just don't get it I have no problem with natural heights but get me in a theme park and I'm nowhere to be seen. Lance is the total opposite, when I slipped going back down Lion Rock he freaked, yet give him any ride in a Theme park and he is off with a smile on his face.

Left Piha and headed to Cascades (Regional Park) on the way to Bethalls Beach. This was to be our stop for the night. On the way we tried to go to Karekare Beach but the Health & Safety Officer kindly pointed out there was a maximum height of 3.2m for the road down (Our van is 3.4m) so we had to reverse back up the road much to the confusion of the lovely Indian driver behind us😊. Arrived at Cascades Regional Park and managed to slip in a walk on the Auckland City Walk and Cascade Falls track. Both these walks are slightly strange as the Auckland City Walk takes you through a very dense green walk along a stream (no view of Auckland City?) and the Cascade Falls Track (you can hear but not see?). Well actually you can see a slither of the falls through a crack in the rock face (Photo). You can climb the slimy slippery rocks to get this glimpse.

Day 24 We head to Bethalls Beach. A nice walk along this rugged beach to blow the cobwebs away, then back up the road to walk the Lake Wainamu Track. This is very different to home as we walked across the black sand dunes to get to a Lake. Walking across the very large black sand dunes in the summer (you may fry!). The track was fairly boggy in places today but managed to stay upright. At the Northern side of the Lake is Waitohi Falls, not spectacular but perhaps a little special as this is rumoured to be batptismal water? Wanted to do the Te Henga Walkway to O'Niell Bay but it was getting late in the day so have headed to Muriwai for the night and catch up on some laundry😊.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb